Memories of our beloved horror movie hosts 💀🥰

Obligs:
I miss The Ghoul’s Show…

(For those not in the know: Ron Sweed, aka the Ghoul, was a horror movie host in the Cleveland and Detroit areas back in the 70s and 80s, who died a few years back, and is still remebered fondly.)

Edited to add: I didn’t expect this to wind up a derail… but since it’s so much fun to share our memories, I’m splitting it off to its own thread. Have fun! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

9 Likes

Sounds like our Chicago version, Svengoolie, who started in 1979 and is still doing 3 hour weekly shows today!

6 Likes

IT CAME, FROM BERWYN!

this is a complete sentence

7 Likes

The Ghoul and The Cramps…core to my being.

5 Likes

Both him and Svengoolie mentioned by @evadrepus below influenced ATL’s Professor Morte…

6 Likes

One of my partners worked at the Berwyn library for a few years. They said when they started it was all they could do to keep from saying the name like Svengoolie.

4 Likes

We had the most excellent Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.… aka Cassandra Peterson.

4 Likes

I’m sort-of familiar with Svengoolie, as his show was syndicated to the Detroit market a few years back. It was good fun; I’ll have to check and see if it’s available again.

I was lucky enough to meet Ron Sweed during his booksigning tour (not my pic):

s-l400

The line literally stretched outside the store and into the mall itself (I have photos of it tucked away somewhere) and we had to stay open well after hours to accomodate everyone. I didn’t have the chance to interact with him much, but he seemed like a kind, enthusiastic person who genuinely apreciated his fans.

Unfortunately, he passed away in 2019 (not long before my dad did.) I still think of the Ghoul sometimes, hearing his voice in my memories: “stay sick, turn blue; scratch glass, climb walls; but most of all, do it while you can, and don’t get caught!

(It’s not entirely surprising that I’ve turned out the way I did… :joy::rofl:)

3 Likes

An homage to the medium:

5 Likes

I will never get over his reaction to their accidentally aired excerpt from Bergman’s Persona with Andrea Martin and Catherine O’Hara as the two main characters.

2 Likes

Pittsburgh had Chiller Theatre with the great Chilly Bill Cardille. Bill made an appearance in Night of the Living Dead as himself.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.