Menu at Saudi hotel offers "accuracy of sheep meat", "my property" and "tuna is a problem"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/24/menu-at-saudi-hotel-offers-a.html

11 Likes

Foul with cheese over here

3 Likes

I think I caught the Metal Suspicion/Fool Industrial tour back in the early 90’s. Really loved their hits “Blindfolded, ordinary” and “Its loop is in Cornflex.”

21 Likes

I think I’ve over done the 12rupee Popular Problems. Oy, hand me a bicarb…

5 Likes

That’s actually one of the few meals that isn’t in broken English. Foul is an Egyptian fava bean dish. It’s good! There are various ways of spelling it with the Latin alphabet, of course.

24 Likes

You see this a lot in East Asia – people seriously thinking that Google Translate or whatnot will work. To be fair, it does work much better than say ten years ago, but still it can’t really get idioms.

9 Likes

I once ate at this one clown-themed Irish restaurant, where the menu had a few dishes which were, for some reason, in German. One of those meals translates to Resident of the Fortified City of Hamma in English. Weird! It’s beyond me why they chose this name for a ground beef patty on a bun.

39 Likes

I’m really on the fence between “Blindfolded, ordinary” and “Beans, gentlemen”.

I could also go for some tomato meat; maybe with Foul metal.

6 Likes

I see what you did there.

16 Likes

Wait until you see the French translation.

8 Likes

Frying cheese works too - I’d be rasonably sure of getting halloumi.

8 Likes

A luxury sofa for 12 riyals? Bargain!

7 Likes

There is liver with cheese and liver liver with cheese, but no Spam.

14 Likes

Every time I come back to this I love it more. Last time the luxury sofa caught my eye, this time it was “beans, gentlemen.”

11 Likes
6 Likes

Saudi diner lingo?

4 Likes

I’m always “boycotting cheese”.

7 Likes

The hovercraft full of eels is particularly fresh today!

21 Likes

“Translation by GPT-2.”

2 Likes

The Chicken Dump Truck is a bargain for only 10 riyals!

I just want to know if it’s a dump truck full of chicken, which is a lot of chicken, or a chicken that’s also a dump truck, which is frightening.

8 Likes