Mesmerizing 1980s experimental Japanese film using video cut-ups to deconstruct architecture

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/12/mesmerizing-1980s-experimental.html

4 Likes

That’s kind of cool. I’ve experienced shifts like that on psychedelics – quite interesting when they happen to the visual field, but when abstract concepts and ideas start to split up and shift like that, that’s when things start getting really interesting.

3 Likes

I fell asleep watching that, I guess what others find disorienting I find relaxing.

That was an extreme example of that style, I’m now imagining a longer cut with even more styles of slicing and angles and other things you could do until vision itself of anything is impossible, 4 an artistic take on what true descent into madness would look like.

Im sure drugs would make this frightening as hell.

Very cool

2 Likes

Reminds of the avant-garde video stuff Nam June Paik was putting out like crazy in the 60s. He and Matsumoto were contemporaneous. I wonder who influenced who.

4 Likes

Nice! Maybe I should admit to being a (failed) architecture student. The video techniques suit the brutalist architecture. I wonder how it would play out on a Baroque building, though?

1 Like

If its not Baroque, don’t fix it.

4 Likes

“We have to de-systematize that.” No, no we don’t, we just have to make art. We just need to shoot things, and then edit the things. Go watch some Jonas Mekas, and (or even or) listen to some Peter Kubelka.

1 Like

Yeah, I want this shot in 360° and be able to watch it in a 3d headset

1 Like

My kingdom for some easing.

1 Like

The buildings are dancing about architecture.

1 Like

I wish there was even the tiniest bit of info of where these buildings are located.

1 Like

And Barcelona, for some reason.

1 Like

I noticed they used a shot of the " La Sagrada Familia". Maybe because Gaudí is cool.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.