Mexico: 166 human skulls found in Veracruz clandestine mass grave

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/06/mexico-166-human-skulls-found.html

14 Likes

Thanks, Xeni, for continuing to write about and publicize human rights atrocities like this one, even though it may never get the same attention here in the US as Alex Jones being banned from Twitter.

24 Likes

Wait, they put IDs in the pit?!?

3 Likes

Rather than dispose of them in some way that’s more easily discovered? :thinking:

2 Likes

I think the idea is that they know family will be looking, so – burial pit allows for easy disposal and deterioration of evidence, but still allows family to identify the remains.

That’s my take on it.

11 Likes

I guess that there is not much point in “sending a message” if it never gets delivered.

This is some sad shit. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Or, they just don’t give a fuck.

4 Likes

But sending a message is what hanging beheaded bodies from bridges is for. :confused:

3 Likes

The chances these people were dead before they got chopped up and dumped are slim. Seen some very gruesome cartel vids, a quick & painless bullet to the head is a thing of the past - agony and torture is the way of this day.

1 Like

Fucking War on Drugs.

2 Likes

If they really wanted to end this, the US could send drones or launch surgical strikes like they did on Bin Laden. Fuck the red tape and legalities, they’d find a way. All they’re doing now is maintaining Border Theater, and cashing in on Homeland Security contracts.

4 Likes

I hope some of the families of the missing can gain some closure for their lost loved ones.

The War on Some Drugs has many casualties, inside and outside US borders. This shit needed to stop a generation ago, before the cartels became organized paramilitary outfits and gained as much power as they currently enjoy.

3 Likes

Or they could leagilse and control the supply of drugs. Manufacturing them cheaper in the US than the Cartels can make them across the boarder. Even if the Government sold drugs at below cost, they could save on “enforcement”.

Of course, that solution wouldn’t sell to moral majority in America. They’d probably get more support for massively expensive, unilateral, punitive military action in to Mexico. :frowning:

3 Likes

LOL. No. You don’t think the Mexican government isn’t using military hardware against the Cartels? They used the same thing against FARC in Columbia. First off you would have to get approval for drone strikes in Mexico. Second, even if you manage to nail some of the leaders, another head will grow. Their network is vast and complex. Just like drone strikes haven’t actually STOPPED ISIS. It has just shuffled around the power structure. Doubling down on violence has already been tried and failed.

If I ran Mexico… I’d make it all legal. Fuck it. You want the best fucking drugs on earth, Mexico is your place.

2 Likes

@euansmith

No, I’m all for legalization and eradication of the hard border. I’m only saying this as a Drug War hypothetical.
Now, what will the cartels turn to next when drugs are legalized? They’re not just going to give up.

1 Like

They will end up like the IRA when the Soviet and Libyan money dried up. Turn to general banditry and/or seek political power. Like every other armed gang which loses its primary source of income.

3 Likes

That’s a great analogy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.