Mexico City escalator breakdowns blamed on pee-pee

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/15/mexico-city-escalator-breakdow.html

2 Likes

How it happened is very clear. Men.

8 Likes

Most stations have no public bathroom facilities, a fact Twitter users were quick to point out, noting there are not even any pay toilets.

24 Likes

Clearly you’ve never been in a Grateful Dead parking lot!

9 Likes

Yet somehow, it is considered more desirable to clean urine out of the escalators than to keep public toilets clean.

I would love to see the cost/benefit analysis of this made public.

17 Likes

Suddenly the less-than-reliable nature of escalators on the BART system makes sense.

14 Likes

Micturition making misanthropes out of maintenance mechanics.

16 Likes

“Nobody’s clear exactly how it happens…”

Pretty sure we have an excellent idea about how it happens. :wink:

8 Likes

Also houseless folks in areas without public restrooms.

4 Likes

MANAGER: What seems to be the problem with the escalator?
TECHNICIAN: Urine trouble.
MANAGER: Now that’s just out of line. What the hell did I do??

16 Likes

Slightly off topic: someone just described to me a scene they witnessed while driving by the local “methadone mile”, guy crosses the street (in complete disregard for oncoming traffic that had to stop), and he had a McDonalds hamburger in one hand (that he was eating), while using the other hand to pull out his willy and pee as he was walking.

Say what you will, but that’s an efficient use of time.

11 Likes

Sounds like a piss poor excuse

5 Likes

So that’s why his pants are rolled up!

4 Likes

Or NYC, where it often seems like most of them are not working on any given day.

Do the subways in NYC have public restrooms? San Francisco used to but they’ve all been closed for years now.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever seen one. I’ve seen traces of ones that are no longer in service, I think? I feel like Bergen on the 2/3 in Brooklyn has a door that appears to have once been a restroom, and is now – nothing.

So, people are pissing while they travel up or down on the escalators? Gross but, efficient.

“Pissing on the right!..”

3 Likes

Some escalators pay extra for that…

3 Likes

Or the streets of Brooklyn.

1 Like

Or Bourbon Street… J Piss C

1 Like