Mice genetically engineered to grow tiny deer antlers

7 Likes

Some people are saying the project is secretly sponsored by Nintendo & Co so they can grow pokemon.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Oh, I’ve seen those “in the wild”. Really cute!

2 Likes

Amount of actual “genetic engineering” here = 0. Scientist implants little bit of deer into mice with no immune system. Bits of deer grow into antlers. The competition to earn an IgNobel Prize gets tougher every year.

“Nude mice” are the living incubators of cancer research. Biologists take advantage of their lack of immune system to implant bits of not-mouse into them, that won’t be rejected - like cells from human cancer strains. Then they kill the mice after a few months of suffering, to see how far the cancer has spread.

Still, it provides an excuse to post cover art from “Flesh”.

6 Likes

1655 version:

5 Likes

I automatically checked the date before opening this thread.
Disappointed it’s not a cute joke.
Well, horrified would be a more accurate take.

3 Likes

The lab is Chinese, as is clearly stated in the article. I did not want to appear racist, only classist against the uber-wealthy. Obviously, I failed.

1 Like

I saw it in the article, but my sponge-brain completely missed the connection. My apologies.

Well, no. Not at all. It looks like they gave the mice head cancer. It looks painful.

1 Like

Nickelodeon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Of course, poe’s law applies to your original comment, cause you know someone would say that in all seriousness!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.