Meet the Chinese "vampire" deer

Originally published at: Meet the Chinese "vampire" deer | Boing Boing

6 Likes

mad bambi GIF

20 Likes

But… they don’t hop?

7 Likes

If you’re in the Northeast Ohio area, the Akron zoo has a Siberian musk deer exhibit (it’s related to the water deer and also has fangs). They’re pretty neat to see in person.

6 Likes

I had always just assumed that humans could detect pheromones, but it appears the science on this is far from settled:

4 Likes

Please tell me that’s not one of the places where they’ve found coronavirus in deer…
:pleading_face:

8 Likes

9 Likes

Whether or not the scents of fellow humans meet the technical definition of pheromones might be a distinction without a difference based on what effects have already been proven. From your article:

6 Likes

I have a casting of a muntjac skull, which is similar. I was very confused when I first saw it. “A deer…with fangs?”

1 Like

It’s cute… but it’s no dik-dik…

y so smol I r dik-dik

11 Likes

If one of these animals were to be hunted down and a keepsake trophy made of its taxidermied head, in consideration of fairness, I wonder if a different system of counting need be employed for what hunters refer to as “points.”

I dunno, I’m gonna go with mixed blessing there. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

7 Likes

Especially for those moms who need to birth babies with one of the largest skull-to-body-size ratios in the animal kingdom, combined with the pelvis that’s narrow enough to facilitate bipedal locomotion.

3 Likes

As someone with a ridiculously over sensitive nose, I say this with authority: yes, it is, and no, you don’t want to.

6 Likes

I now expect these to show up in some Disney animation, with funny voices due to the tusks.

The dik-dik’s tiny horns are cute. Imps! :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

5 Likes

Defend the Dik-Diks!

(I see a custom tee shirt in my future.)

4 Likes

I guess this is officially a dik-dik pic thread now…

8 Likes

6 Likes

Beside the fact that it looks menacing, it is unclear as to why evolution chose fangs over antlers for the musk deer.

God be like: “Let’s try something different here…”

deer-evolution

11 Likes