Mice genetically engineered to grow tiny deer antlers

Originally published at: Mice genetically engineered to grow tiny deer antlers | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Couldn’t they just have tried staples?

(Disclaimer- this post is not advocating stapling anything to mice. if that was not immediately apparent then it is now. This disclaimer is entirely original and any resemblance to other disclaimers living or dead is purely coincidental. Offer void where prohibited)

41 Likes

dammit. Beat me to it.

11 Likes

Me three.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

11 Likes

Yup, came to post the same thing

8 Likes

If nothing else there’s almost certainly a subset of the body-mod crowd who would like to have the ability to grow their own antlers instead of having to settle for those little subdermal nubby-horn implants.

9 Likes

Why do I suspect that instead of practical biomedical research we have a billionaire (Chinese or not) who has an antler fetish and wants their lovers to have horns, or wants antlers themselves. It’s been that sort of news cycle for a long, long time now.

3 Likes

All that trouble just because someone wanted to be able to make a joke about deer mice?

(ETA a missing “to”)

9 Likes

I was hoping for some pictures at least 137% more heartwarming than those actually provided.

15 Likes

Chimerically horned rabbits were native to the drinking establishments of my youth.

18 Likes

Maybe those photos should have a trigger warning. They make the procedure look incredibly cruel.

17 Likes

Yikes, that’s… disturbing. But, hey. That’s progress, baby!

Yah, it looks painful and I’m not sure how useful that’s going to be… unless they figure out a way to make it look cute. Then they’ll be all the rage at Xmas. (I am, of course, being facetious. It’s awful.)

7 Likes

I can imagine the sound of tiny little clacks during mating season.

10 Likes

Truly a cautionary tale

8 Likes

Well, that just looks awful…

high quality GIF

9 Likes

I do love me some science, but this feels icky.

I am sure there is a very good reason for this to be happening, but do the ends justify these particular means?

7 Likes
11 Likes

… except the F&S article does not contain the word “genetic,” or describe any gene editing

On the contrary, this all sounds more like your basic Island of Doctor Moreau surgery

8 Likes

A tweet to read while enjoying your Soylent Green.

2 Likes