Michael Avenatti arrested by feds at California State Bar Hearing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/14/michael-avenatti-is-in-federal.html

TV-talking lawyer of Stormy Daniels vs. Donald Trump fame is now in federal custody

3 Likes

17 Likes

I will not be losing sleep over this at all, but I wonder, what does your net worth need to be before this law doesn’t apply to you?

11 Likes

Next stop the gray bar hotel.

5 Likes

7 Likes

Well, kind of explains why Avenatti was so good at countering Trump on TV. They are both, it seems, egotistical career criminals.

12 Likes

Guessing the terms were something to the effect of “keep your mouth shut.”

1 Like

Are we talking about one law in particular or the concept of law in general? Because Avenatti seems to have broken several—he’s currently trying to defend himself from criminal charges on both coasts.

3 Likes

All the laws will be enforced against the Leader’s enemies no matter how much money they have

I think it’s more an issue of relative wealth than absolute wealth. If he’d stolen it from people who only had 100,000 to begin with…

3 Likes

The only really tragic thing here is knowing how much Dear Leader is going to be gloating about it on Twitter.

1 Like

This’ll be fun to watch unfold.

1 Like

[cue inner Steve Miller Band track]

“Slime keeps on grifting, grifting, grifting … into the future”

2 Likes

Avenatti For Presi… Oh, never mind.

UPDATE: As I understand it there’s now a question over whether Avenatti’s lawyers can expect to get paid because the source of his funds is suspect.

Normally that would mean he just gets public counsel instead of a fancy private legal team, but a judge can compel his lawyers to continue representing him under certain circumstances (such as when a trial is imminent and there isn’t enough time to get a new attorney up to speed).

They need to lawyer up.

It’s lawyers all the way down.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.