Michael Cohen secretly taped Donald Trump talking about paying off Playboy model Karen McDougal over sex claims

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/20/michael-cohen-secret-tape.html

6 Likes

Sounds like we are going to be in for some pretty epic october surprises

20 Likes

The President’s team may have leaked news about secret recordings of the President and his fixer talking about election year hush payments to Playboy models because it is less damaging and/or embarrassing than the current topic of conversation.

The future is goddamn weird.

44 Likes

Frankly, I’d be surprised that anyone who deals with him regularly isn’t recording it whenever they have conversations with 45; just as a form of preserving their own sanity. To that man, gaslighting seems to come as naturally as breathing.

In fact, I read somewhere that in the past it had become practice for his other lawyers and advisors to never meet with 45 just one on one, because they needed reliable witnesses to corroborate whatever conversations took place and what decisions were made.

That’s some epic ‘contrariness’ right there…

35 Likes

Or perhaps to be a bit more clear: they leaked the least damaging recording and will try and act like it’s in any way representative of the rest of the (hilariously illegal) stuff in the other, yet-unreleased, recordings…

23 Likes
20 Likes

When informed about the tape, the president said, “I can’t believe Michael would do this with me,”

Hahaha! Why, because Michael Cohen is a pillar of legal ethics and probity compared to his old fixer Roy Cohn? The real difference is that Cohn was too much of a clever snake to ever have to cash in this kind of “insurance policy”.

If this is what they’re leaking, by the way, think of what’s on the tapes that they’re saving for later.

22 Likes

Lordy, there are tapes.

21 Likes

The only thing separating us from the annihilation of the Western liberal order is the utter, inexplicable incompetence with which TrumpWorld is going about it.

16 Likes

“I can’t believe Michael would do this with me” says the man who gives zero fucks about stabbing his friends in the back, at any time, for any reason or no particular reason.

49 Likes

The same highly skilled production team that brought us the North Korea Summit trailer video is probably working on the final edit of a video of Trump shooting a man on Fifth Avenue. Obviously, the next tool in their distraction arsenal. That should buy the better part of a week of media coverage to push the Treason Puppet™ story below the fold.

3 Likes

Mr. Giuliani said […] Trump had directed Mr. Cohen that if he were to make a payment related to the woman, write a check, rather than sending cash, so it could be properly documented.

Riiiight. The tape probably says exactly that. Anybody else smell a mafioso directing – in a clever, deniable way – that the payment is to be made in cash explicitly so that it won’t be traceable?

10 Likes

Or as insurance against Trump throwing them under the bus. It’s not like he’s ever treated his underlings in a way that rewards loyalty.

13 Likes

Yes, because proper documentation worked out well for former Cincinnati council member Jerry Springer.

3 Likes

Oh, I never said that such recordings weren’t ‘multi-purpose.’

:wink:

6 Likes

What did the President know about Jerry Springer, and when did he know it?

4 Likes

I give it 50/50 that it is a distraction leak. The other 50 being that it is coming soon from another source and they want to get ahead of it.

Not that the two possibilities are mutually exclusive…

6 Likes

The man throws everyone under the bus. It’s a wonder he hasn’t just chucked Don Jr. yet. I’d never deal with the asshat in chief to begin with but if I did you best bet I’d record everything.

6 Likes

NY is a one party consent state to record - unlike many others.

I’m really hoping they get a non federal charge they can use against Donny.

9 Likes

They’ll be releasing the pee tape soon to distract from his meeting with Putin.

10 Likes