Some Republicans fear that Cohen had taped conversations between himself and Trump that were seized by FBI

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/13/some-in-trump-camp-fear-that-m.html

6 Likes

When people told the Trump campaign about the Nixon campaign strategy, I think they took away all the wrong lessons.

18 Likes

“It is unknown whether Cohen taped conversations between himself and Trump. But two people familiar with Cohen’s practices said he recorded both business and political conversations. One associate said Trump knew of Cohen’s practice because the attorney would often play him recordings Cohen had made of his conversations with other top Trump advisers.”

If that’s true, then I don’t see Trump putting himself in a situation where he could be overtly or secretly taped by Cohen; his intense paranoia would override his colossal stupidity.

4 Likes

Boy, this whole thing really just keeps living up to the moniker of “Stupid Watergate,” doesn’t it?

19 Likes

I imagine Whitehouse staffers going “Oh [expletive deleted]!” when they heard that the tapes may be seized.

7 Likes

Cohen has the Pee Tape!!!

13 Likes

Insert eating-popcorn GIF

4 Likes

I am loving the coverage on Breitbart.

Looking into Trump’s personal sex life, which was consensual. Oh, OK so are we excusing Clinton now for Lewinsky? No?

10 Likes

I’m betting Trump would think he’s “in” on it with Cohen. That while he recorded “others” and shared with Trump he wouldn’t do the same to Trump since he’s part of it.

Which may be true. Or, Cohen may have recorded EVERYONE, including Trump. Either from habit, or because nobody was really “in” on it with Cohen. It was all for Cohen to have leverage for anything.

Could go either way.

7 Likes

“Lordy, I Hope There Are Tapes”. James Comey. One of my favorite quotes. The tapes won’t actually be of the Trump-Comey awkward dinner conversation but will still be entertaining listening.

8 Likes

That would be a twist worthy of a spy thriller. Put in gave it to him to help him keep Trump in line.

3 Likes

Well, as many in law enforcement and our government like to say, if they had nothing to hide then they have nothing to fear.

7 Likes

What is this constant talk of “tapes” ? Surely it would be a trivial matter to store a recording as digital audio, stow it on a MicroSD card, and then conceal the card in a practically infinite variety of nigh-undetectable ways? Could such technological wonders really be so far beyond the skills of the people involved?

7 Likes

Watergate 7: Electronic Trumpaloo.

The straight to video sequel no one asked for.

5 Likes

To quote James Comey: Lordy, I hope there are tapes.

6 Likes

Plus, that’s not even the point. It’s not that Trump, like Clinton, lied about it. It’s that a whole series of illegal actions was taken in Trump’s case to hide the facts. (But yeah, the fact that all those who attacked Clinton purely on the sex thing, such as the religious right, have no problem with Trump is an amusing bit of hypocrisy.)

Not just Whitehouse staffers, from what I read.

It’s one of those examples - what to call it? anachronistic synecdoche? - where we use the old technical term to refer to the modern equivalent, even though the technical basis may be completely different. You see it a lot in audio/visual terminology that’s held over - footage, film, tapes (audio and visual), record or album (to refer to a music release), etc.

12 Likes

You beat me to it.

It’s like Watergate on meth, with a speedball chaser.

All we’re missing now is today’s equivalent of ‘Elvis Presley’ meeting up for a bizarro photo op with 45.

Yep; we still say ‘on tape’ or ‘on film’ even though digital imagery is the norm now; just like we say musicians release ‘albums’ even though hardly anyone uses vinyl records anymore, outside of certain niches.

8 Likes

More stuff:

Bet you anything Cohen is old school with password protection only.

3 Likes

Fair enough. But still – does the FBI have special techniques for locating something like a micro SD card in a cluttered office? Looking around, I can think of any number of little nooks where such a thing would go undetected. (Retrieving something in encrypted storage on a remote server is of course just a matter of finding the post-it note with the password written on it.)

6 Likes

The Nixon parallels just keep coming.

6 Likes