Michael Moore "knows for a fact" that Trump never wanted to be President

It was one of those documentaries that was mostly subtitles and instead of being shown in a regular theater it was stamped onto dead trees pounded flat.

6 Likes

He was eating popcorn with one hand and typing with the other, and it slowed him down.

2 Likes

5 Likes

So… like… books?

I read one of his from back in the day. Can’t remember the title. He had a hat on the cover.

1 Like

I don’t know too much about him, but I did enjoy ‘Where to Invade Next’, and thought it was an effective film (it’s not a particularly information-dense film, but it does a very good job of getting those who may be unfamiliar with American exceptionalism to think about it a little). Part of what makes Moore as a character appealing to me is his sort of disheveled kooky uncle persona. I think he effectively uses that personality to disarm ‘low information’ viewers and get them to think a little bigger than they are used to doing. I could see how he might grate after awhile though. He’s kind of like the big band (Nirvana) that gets suburban kids interested in more obscure bands like the Wipers or Half-Japanese or whatever. Or they just like Nirvana and don’t go much further into it because hey they like Limp Bizkit too and end up leading happy and productive lives as sock and sandal wearing college football fans and that’s fine too.

2 Likes

You are correct that he does have that persona nailed down.

I supposed why I am not a fan is because his views largely don’t line up with mine, and the big difference was that he, in the past, even if he started with perhaps his own views, did a decent job of showing both sides of an issue - not just the one side that supported his view.

So TV Nation and Rodger and Me he tended to show the issue, and let the viewer sort of pick up what opinion to have. Even something like Bowling for Columbine which wasn’t as balanced, but at least he was just letting people more or less have enough rope to hang themselves. There was still more of an air that the viewer was supposed to come to their own conclusions. TV Nation (as I remember it, it has been 20+years ago) was great at highlighting the absurdity of an issue with out being preachy and telling you want to think. His more modern films have been way more about telling you what to think and have less and less wit.

So in the past, even if I didn’t agree with him, I could at least appreciate the absurdity or hypocrisy he pointed out. He actually made me empathetic to several of his issues. And he was funny, in a dry way. Not so much now.

1 Like

I’ll believe it November 9.

1 Like

Or even easier. Just say that, upon further consideration, he’s now pro-choice and will nominate SCOTUS justices who are pro-choice. He’d immediately be dropped by all evangelicals and conservative catholics, fatally crippling his chances.

1 Like

Well it’s often been said that anyone who wants to be president shouldn’t be president. Trump’s primary campaign seemed to bear that out, as the more unpresidential he acted - no make that the more bizaaro-kryptonite-presidential he acted - the more votes he got. And now he’s up against a candidate who probably wants to be president more than any president has wanted to be president since Richard Nixon. We’ll have to see how that matchup plays out.

3 Likes

Shame!..

Shame!..

Shame!..

1 Like

Meh. I don’t think Trump was legit running at first, either.
BUT…
I don’t like that Moore is essentially giving Trump an out for failing. The one thing Trump does NOT WANT is to be a loser (and he’s gonna be if he stays in).
Now he can say “Michael Moore was right - I lost on purpose… My campaign was a disaster on purpose.”

I think Trump DOES want to win at this point… He’s fully buying into his own hype and has been for some time. Plus, he thinks he can just let VP Mike Pence do all the real Presidential work when it comes down to it (that’s the offer John Kasich says he was given but turned down).

But now, Michael Moore has given him the gift of an excuse for losing. Sad.

Well, Bill Clinton was famously a fan of McDonalds and would go get Big Macs (with Secret Service in tow) during his presidency despite having free access to gourmet meals at the White House. I’ve never been much of a fan of fast food (even before knocking it became a trend), but apparently some people really enjoy it as opposed to eating it because it is cheap and convenient.

3 Likes

Meh, not really. Not many people pay attention to Moore anymore.

And isn’t HRC addicted to diet soda?

If they did then they probably would have remembered Moore’s dire pronouncement that Trump was going to win, made less than a month ago.

http://michaelmoore.com/trumpwillwin/

5 Likes

I don’t know if it is a “fact” or not, but I can see how it looks that way, plenty of people were thinking the same thing well before Trump sealed the nomination. Like him or dislike him, Moore did lay it all right out in a logical way that would make your typical conspiracy theorist green with envy; there’s no great leap of the imagination required here, Trump has had constant media scrutiny since he announced his campaign, and he has a long history finding ways to rip people off and game things to his advantage, that’s a deep well of evidence to draw from.

Considering how fond the conservative fringes are of conspiracy theories, why not give them one to chew on for a while.

Considering Moore’s record of accuracy, I think we could probably consider this better evidence that Trump is, in fact, making an honest go of it, and is just a clueless, feckless idiot. Actually, to be perfectly honest, if he penned another open letter tomorrow, and it was about how gravity absolutely, definitely exists, I’d be sincerely tempted to start holding on to the floor to make sure I didn’t float off.

Michael Moore is a liar, and I am clever and sophisticated for saying so.

If he said gravity was real, I would not believe it.

It does not occur to me that this might say more about me than about him.

1 Like

I remember seeing this live …[ Sept 5 2008 ]

LARRY KING, HOST: Tonight Michael Moore is here, taking aim at one of his favorite targets – the Republicans. Sarah Palin and John McCain are in his sights, too.
Who else will he rip into?

Find out, as the sometime controversial always, always, provocative human lightning rod, also known as Michael Moore, joins me right now on LARRY KING LIVE.

It’s always a great pleasure, whether you agree or disagree, to listen to Michael Moore, because he is never dull.

He’s the Academy Award winning documentary maker. His new film is “Slacker Uprising,” a look at the youth vote in 2004 and what it may portend for the current campaign. His new book is “Mike’s Election Guide 2008”. It will – there you see its cover. And it’s going to debut at number three on the “New York Times” nonfiction best-seller list.

He’s supporting Barack Obama.

He is in Traverse City, Michigan.

Why are you in Traverse City, Michigan?

MICHAEL MOORE: I live here, Larry.

KING: Oh. Good reason.

5 Likes

As much as I’m flattered that my opinion means so much to you that you absolutely had to comment on it, some people don’t idolize the same people you do, and you’re just going to have to deal with that.
I’m certainly not going to judge you for being a fan of the guy, because hey, people like different things, and that doesn’t change who you are as a person.