Michelin-starred inn uses mannequins to make things less weird

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/14/michelin-starred-inn-uses-mann.html

2 Likes

How is this less weird?

21 Likes

It isn’t in D.C. It’s in a small town roughly an hour and a half outside of D.C.

9 Likes

The annual Swingers get-together still just isn’t the same.

13 Likes

It’s like a Museum of the Before Times, for our descendants to wonder at the people’s exposed faces and close proximity. :grimacing:

11 Likes

“I’ll have what he’s having.”

5 Likes

Ah. That’s what struck me as odd about the article. Much less weird now :wink:

4 Likes
3 Likes

I ate there once, on a corporate dime, and can testify that that food is very very good, and dinner will run over $200/plate, probably more with alcohol. At those prices, I suspect they can afford to run at half capacity.

9 Likes

Aw, the cities are so quiet now, the mannequins are wandering out of the Twilight Zone!

6 Likes

Those seem to be some fancy duds they just had kicking around.

Totally unrelated note: I would love to take my wife there, and make them sit us at a table with a mannequin couple. It would make for some great dinner schtick.

6 Likes

Apparently the mannequins are getting table service:

“According to Washingtonian, servers will be expected to interact with the mannequins, including speaking to them and pouring wine for them — likely not the vintages priced at several thousand dollars on the Inn’s wine list.” -WTOP

Careful the mannequins don’t stiff you on the tip!

10 Likes

My first thought on seeing the headline: “this is straight out of the Twilight Zone”!

3 Likes

Well, since retail is dead, we may as well recycle the mannequins. Fill the theaters, concert halls, stadiums…

1 Like

If I lived anywhere nearby, I would storm through the door at peak dinner hour, stride up to the most glamorous mannequin, shout “It’s over between us! OVER!” throw a glass of water in its face, and storm back out.

16 Likes

Dinner and a show!

5 Likes

Cynthia and Lester Gaba would feel right at home.

1 Like

I immediately thought of the “jackpot” as described in William Gibson’s “The Peripheral.”

1 Like

The ‘woman’ on the left is lvanka.

They won’t let you in if you don’t resemble a glamorous mannequin.

2 Likes