Michigan Republican wants voting to be in English only

Everyone born there is a US citizen, no matter what language they speak

9 Likes

Most of Southwest Detroit, a not-insignificant number of people, says

Vete a la mierda!

8 Likes

Candidate Hudson calls for literacy tests in 3…2…1…

11 Likes

You forgot:

Ik begrijp je niet.

6 Likes

There’s a sad story there somewhere….

6 Likes

… all ballots must be submitted as APL functions

12 Likes

‘I mean, when is it going to get too far or so far that you guys will finally wake up and understand this is bulls–t.’

‘Get too far’? Mr. Hudson should try learning English.

6 Likes

I’m always excited, here in California, to get my voter materials, because it’s a fun game to see if I can identify all the languages in it. I used to have no problem, but I found that I failed a great deal with the last one - they’ve added all sorts of South Asian languages I can’t distinguish. I’m ashamed to say I don’t know my Tamil from my Telugu. I need to work on that.

Of course what these people always mean is: you should have to speak in my language to be a citizen. There’s no logical consistency in their argument, given that this is a country with a multi-lingual indigenous population and multi-lingual immigrant population. Sometimes they fall back on, “the language of the Founding Fathers,” but of course it’s just an ignorant reflex; after all, what does that mean: Spanish, German, Dutch, English? They’re not even arguing
that people should speak the language of the majority, because they’re also against people speaking e.g. Spanish in Spanish-language majority areas of the country.

Basically, the demand is a cousin of that which some MAGAts made to a Navajo politician, that he should “go back to his country.” Racist, xenophobic, profoundly ignorant and completely, utterly stupid. Any thought given to the demand is more thought than they’ve given it.

Yes, but only in the sense that I believe he’ll go with his version of what that means, i.e. that people will (as adults) “decide” without being exposed to “gay and trans propaganda” (i.e. knowing that non-cis-het people exist) in a heteronormative society.

14 Likes

11 Likes

That is a myth.

Legend has it that in 1795 a bill to establish German as the official language of the fledgling United States of America was defeated in Congress by a single vote. There never was such a vote; indeed, there wasn’t any such bill, either. A proposal before Congress in 1795 merely recommended the printing of federal laws in German as well as English, and no bill was ever actually voted upon.

5 Likes

Had to to look for where this gentleman is running. Midland, Saginaw, Flint. There’s another Republican on the primary ballot, but I doubt they’re any less terrible.

With Gerrymandering ended, Republicans are not in control of the state anymore. Rather than run better candidates with policies that appeal to a wider range of voters, they run dudes like this who can’t keep the quiet part quiet. :woman_shrugging:

12 Likes

I’ve heard some one say that about the King James Bible before, but never English. :confused:

4 Likes

The King James Bible has a magnificent poetry about it, but so does Shakespeare and most of his stuff was made up. That said, if God is omniscient he obviously does know English, and did before it existed. So English clearly is the best of all languages in the best of all possible worlds.

Or something

8 Likes

There is an english requirement associated with a foreigner becoming an US citizen, but it’s ill defined and subjective. And it can be waived.

Other aspects of the application process seemingly require an advanced understanding of english

This passage, as well as the language in the application as a whole, is rife with specialized terminology (procured, narcotics, alimony) and complex syn- tax (especially in question #23). Thus, even though the level of English required to pass the test is specified as “ordinary English usage” in INA Act 312, the test is in fact a de facto policy of technical, advanced English use. In fact, a lexical analysis of the US study handbook reveals a strong tendency of using academic words (Hargreaves, 2010). In lieu of comprehending the meaning of each specialized word, applicants can pass this section of the test by memorizing answer patterns (all “no”).

The Meaning of Citizenship: Tests, Policy, and English Proficiency

Referenda are typically written in legalese–those are probably the largest stumbling block for persons who have passed the citizenship exams. The rest of the ballot is typically written in simpler language.

3 Likes

But my grandmother used to assure us that prayers in Welsh are answered more quickly because God doesn’t have to wait for the translation.

10 Likes

Yeah, but he still has to wait for some of the words…

Longest Welsh Town Name: Welsh Town with Long Name - FelinFach.

Still Waiting Office Tv GIF by The Office

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.