Microdoses of LSD and mushrooms as an alternative to Adderall (or coffee!)

I had a similar experience on an exam once but I was only “high” on not sleeping for a week. I literally didn’t even remember writing the exam the next day. Then my teacher called my mother to tell her I had written the best essay she had ever seen from a highschool student. Apparently I was quoting Northrop Frye in my essay on Hamlet. The power of the unconscious mind, I guess.

14 Likes

11 Likes

This is why I can’t use any sort of cool, mind-altering drug. My brain (even sober) goes straight to “if micro-dosing is good, then I could take a MEGA-DOSE of it and become a god!”

4 Likes

Mega-dosing turns you into marmalade- at best.

1 Like

Bromo?

1 Like

Has anyone studied the benefits of smoking exceedingly small amounts of kipper?

8 Likes

In short, you pitched a no-hitter?

3 Likes

It may very well be a great adjunct to coffee…substitute?

Never!

1 Like

A normal to macro dose of either of these things always made me feel pretty low afterwards. Usually for a day or so. I may be exaggerating slightly.
Still, micro dosing for the work week could mean a pretty cloudy weekend.
The piper will be paid one way or another, no?
Do I hate to be that guy?
Sometimes.

Or it won’t. Drugs do very different things to different people’s brains.

6 Likes

Well yeah.
I don’t think I know anyone who was ever peppy after a normal dose, though.
You?

I’ve also been told it’s just C deficiency. I… dunno’.

If it’s sub-perceptual, it seems pretty likely that the placebo effect would kick in. I know I’ve gotten a lift from decaf coffee, even knowing it was decaf (did nothing for the headaches, though, so – back on the good stuff), so I imagine the placebo effect can override sub-perceptual effects.

2 Likes

The folks from the Reply All podcast tried this a few weeks ago, and did not have a very good experience with it. Obviously, YMMV.

There are a lot of things that are passed off as LSD that most definitely aren’t with very similar effects from DOx to NBOMe.

4 Likes

Psilocybin works on my migraines but only at doses that cause me to “trip”. I did some experimenting with dosage when I had a very regular supply and a scale and figured out my minimum effective dose.

Coming up is unpleasant but not worse than the early stage of migraine just weirder. During what would be the worst part of the headache, I’m pretty out of it. Any queasyness has passed at this point. Normally this is where the headache would cause serious nausea if not actual vomiting. I usually go to sleep for a bit which is usually hard to do on psilocybin but almost always happens when I take it for a migraine.

Then there is a phase where I feel completely better physically, well before the headache would have passed on it’s own, and I get a bit of euphoria from the mushrooms. I still compulsively yawn which always happens to me during a migraine. My appetite also comes back at this point, when normally during a migraine I wouldn’t be able to eat for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I still get a bit of post-migraine “hang over” but it is always less pronounced than it would normally be with no meds.

I haven’t had the opportunity to try any prescription migraine meds so I can’t compare. When I was younger I took high doses of Ibuprofen but that completely stopped working years ago so I usually just suffer though with no meds. Now i have health insurance again so I might be trying something prescription soon.

7 Likes

An alternative to Adderall? I think you mean supplement :wink:

3 Likes

It’d be nice if someone did an actual double-blind study, as these anecdotal reports could easily be explained by the placebo effect (and the nocebo effect for the negative outcomes). It’s too interesting a question to just leave unexamined.

Ibuprophen, ASA, and Acetominiphen do dick all for me.

I’m up to 1000mg of Naproxen. Which is killer on your organs but does take the edge off the headaches. But only the edge. Its still there, but at least I can get up off the floor and go to work.

May 2014 I suffered a concussion (don’t hit your head on a brick wall, its a bad idea) and the headaches… dear god the headaches. Like nothing I’ve ever had before. Completely changed my 1-10 scale. Whereas before I thought the worst I’d had was say an 8.5/10 I now know that was at most a 7, maybe less. They gave me a low dose of nortriptyline, which helped with the pain and the depression but, being an SSRI I did not enjoy the immediate 20lb weight gain.

If they suggest it, and it does work, just be forewarned about the weight gain!

1 Like

Yes it would, but that hasn’t been easy with the legal restrictions. The one person I know of who studies this (James Fadiman) relies on users obtaining their own drugs.

Microreactors for generic syntheses, and Raman and ion mobility spectrometers for direct process feedback, are on the todo list.

Try to be just one or two hops from a small synthesis (or growing) operation itself. The people are better and the stuff is more pure. Ideal is when no money change hands and things go by barter.

1 Like

I once did this after completing a knowledge-base exam at work. Answered the questions, then wrote ‘I am a fish’ all around the border as a protest at being forced to waste time with the stupid thing.

My boss was all like ‘Now @miasm, you got the answers right but you do realise this is getting filed away as part of your appraisal record?’

Corporations have no sense of humour. Who knew?

6 Likes