Microsoft Excel's Hall of Tortured Souls

I never owned a machine with 95 on it. I had home office using in NT 3.5, NT 3.51, and NT 4.0. And I remember 2000.

But somehow 95 slipped by me.

4 Likes

Wow. 95 seemed to be around forever among my clients. I had lots of NT machines for support, plus 95, 98, XP, and 7. I only managed to avoid ME, Vista, and 10 (so far).

3 Likes

As some have indicated, there were a bunch of these (though this was the best IMHO). Here’s a complete list…

4 Likes

Except the Office suite had (and has) plenty of keyboard shortcuts ^^’.

2 Likes

If the easter egg in Excel is the Hall of Tortured Souls, do we dare speculate on what Access contains; or is that topic best left alone?

5 Likes
4 Likes

Absolutely, but changing products that one used daily was annoying. plus many of the shortcuts made sense and others did not.

Second, I have a natural disdain for products that have de facto monopolies. They all eventually apply DRM that goes from protecting their products to being a feature that in invasive and sometimes gets in the way, and when it does it is always at the worst possible time.

1 Like

To be fair, it was being compared to System 7.

3 Likes

System 7 was fucking great.

7 Likes

Vaguely related:

4 Likes

My job forces me to use excel to process text.

6 Likes

That’s not a job, that’s a circle of hell.

6 Likes

There are also scans of Important Archived Documents that hold a single image saying ‘this file is empty’. Generally scanned upside down or sideways and impossible to edit. Also, the software in which all this resides has a tendency to crash and lock you out if you log into it wrong.
(why yes, I do work in the Public Sector, how did you guess?)

8 Likes

Ah the days when a game takes less storage than a single digital photo today.

4 Likes

I feel your pain…

2 Likes

That was my take as well. I said “welcome to Macintosh '84”

1 Like

System 7.1 sucks less.
“We’ve upped our standards – up yours!”

(apologies for the self-link, but it’s the only reference to it I can find these days)

3 Likes

when we send people to teach special education, we aren’t sending our best people

2 Likes

Me too, Excel-bro.

1 Like

just remember for every cute egg you see some GCHQ plant proably put in a backdoor as well

(You didn’t think the 5 eyes intel circlejerk was limited to bits and bytes did you?)

2 Likes