Mike Pence attacks Chief Justice John Roberts as "disappointement to conservatives"

20 Likes

Mike “Judas” Pence is just barely competent enough to be a disappointment to humanity, himself, and the Klingon Empire all at once.

9 Likes

I submit that all this disappointment is part and parcel of the current Republican devotion to perpetual victimhood, learned from the evangelical community, and now a marker of belonging.

9 Likes

That sound very much like their approach to The Bible as well.

4 Likes

Not really. They love Scalia, Alito, Thomas. If they could they’d stock the SCOTUS with 9 Alitos.

And I bet the Federalist Society is scouring its lists, so as to remove all the possible “traitors” like Souter and Roberts— those people who “evolve” on the court. They want people who are as Clarence Thomas, the justice who once told his law clerks, "I ain't evolving."

It’s ridiculous for liberals to laud Roberts as any sort of “hero” just because he’s not the apparatchik that Alito/Thomas are. Roberts has done the bare minimum an anthropoid such as himself could have done, and no more: and only because he is terrified of going down in history as the partisan villain responsible for reversing Roe or dismantling Obamacare.

9 Likes

He’s let himself down, he’s let humanity down, and he’s let the whole Klingon Empire down. I expect he’s hanging his head in shame at this point.

No? Oh, well, business as usual.

2 Likes

fun-with-fundies-may-21-rapture-ready-prank-4784048384

They might feel that they didn’t get all they wanted, but they have no cause for complaint.

10 Likes

They’ll be saying the same about Gorsuch soon, if they aren’t already. Sure, he has voted conservative on a number of cases, but he also split from Kavanaugh on a number of other cases and he seems skeptical of how far the limits of executive power can be stretched, which puts him on a collision course with Trump.

Although hopefully that won’t matter so much after next January.

8 Likes

Precisely. Some of my earliest memories were trying to reconcile the batshit things I heard in church with the reality around me. What I didn’t realize is that it’s the reality that’s to be made to fit the beliefs.

@gabe_oakes @Kii

6 Likes

Regressives is the proper term.

1 Like

Pretty sure that that would require self awareness

1 Like

2a59pa

7 Likes

ETA @VeronicaConnor got there first. I should really read the whole thread before commenting
[/quote]

Yes. I am learning - I appreciate the reinforcement.

1 Like

That’s not onioney because that’s actually how christian nationalists think. Like, it’s not an exaggeration. My xtianist dad says it was “an honor” for god to ask abraham to sacrifice isaac.

4 Likes

“Conservative” definitely has some different connotations in the context of judicial philosophy than in the realm of modern politics.

Imagine selling your soul, your party’s soul, and the very future of the nation to get a few conservative judges on the bench only to learn that they didn’t back you on the issues you really cared about anyway.

6 Likes

“right wing culture war bullshit” Exactly this. Most if not all of these people were around in the 1960s. That was a culture war. That’s mostly all gone now what with the constant gerrymandering and voter suppression taking place before our eyes but that’s still not enough for the Republicans. It’s like they want to go back to women knowing their place, segregation, housing discrimination, and of course White makes Right. In other words back to the 1950’s. It’s like they cannot move on and enjoy the future.

4 Likes

This is the ultimate in “My teacher isn’t giving my kid good grades. I’d like a new teacher for my kid please.”

2 Likes

It’s not like that, it’s exactly that. And preferably the 1850ies.

(I’m strangely reminded of the GDR’s leaders whose concept was to freeze the entire country in a late 1950ies/early 1960ies time bubble.)

2 Likes

Query: Is Father’s disappointment in Roberts greater than every truly decent person’s disappointment in Father as a homo sapien?
JK; it’s rhetorical, answer’s obvious.
What Father ignores is that Roberts is compelled to cover up occasionally the GOP’s complete lack of respect of the system of law – necessary for a functional democracy. What really disappoints Father is that Roberts voted against a Louisiana abortion law which was only slightly, irrelevantly different than a Texas law struck down a few years later. There was no way to rule in favor of the latter without showing that the other GOP apparatchiks on SCOTUS is the joke the GOP wants. Maybe Father needs to review his oath of office.

1 Like

Roberts has much higher standards for “abandoning any pretense of jurisprudence” than his party does. He’s opposed to doing so when it’s too obvious. For instance, he had to vote the way he did re: the Louisiana law because there was no legally credible way to support it given than an essentially identical bill was tossed just a few years earlier. Shelby County, OTOH, was tossed by making an argument that the VRA did the job so no need for it anymore. (Not that the argument was correct, just that one could be made without sounding like a nut job.)