Miley Cyrus makes 'Santa Baby' feminist: 'A girl's best friend is equal pay'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/23/miley-cyrus-makes-santa-baby.html

6 Likes

I always thought of “Santa Baby” and “Mercedes Benz” as two songs that make fun of materialism.

Baby its cold outside is also in need of updating

2 Likes

But she’s no Eartha Kitt.

9 Likes

18 Likes

I thought Key and Peele made a good attempt:

7 Likes

That is awesome! How have I never seen that? Thanks for posting.

4 Likes

For reference, Eartha Kitt’s version:

5 Likes

“Every time I sing ‘Santa Baby,’ I laugh more at myself… The song says, ‘Santa Baby, slip a sable under the tree.’ Well, all the men who have done that with me never stayed with me. So I realize everything that I want in life I have to pay for myself, and I really love that because then nobody owns me but me—and my public, of course.”

7 Likes

That’s an old Lenin number, isn’t it?

1 Like

Good. After the Date Rape Carol, “Santa Baby” is the holiday song that irks me the most.

(I mean, on sociopolitical grounds. There’s a very, very long list I hate for purely aesthetic reasons.)

I always thought ‘Baby it’s Cold Outside’ was about a woman who wanted, but was hesitant, to make out with a guy because she was afraid society would later slut shame her for it.

But I’ve never actually seen the movie it appears in. I’m just going by the song itself.

3 Likes

I always thought the “He who dies with the most toys wins” bumper sticker was meant to be ruefully ironic, and emphasize the “but you are as dead as everyone else” idea, but most people seem to take that one at face value as well.

2 Likes

Late-stage capitalism: making irony redundant since Gordon Gecko.

I remember hearing an interview with Michael Douglas nonplussed about Wall Street traders who would come up to him and praise his character’s Greed Is Good speech saying it was why they went into finance.

5 Likes

Few shoppers will be doing historical-critical analysis of songs playing on department store speakers. It’s probably time to accept that more and more people will misunderstand ‘Baby it’s Cold Outside’, and take it out of circulation.

1 Like

I have no idea what the context of the song is. I’m just going by the lyrics.

That was brilliant.

2 Likes

I think most people who subscribe to that belief - do so with a bit of irony as well, making fun of their own belief. At least for those who aren’t totally narcissistic.

1 Like

Bo and Luke Duke…

6 Likes

Lydia Liza and Josiah Lemanski - Baby It’s Cold Outside