Military coup ousts Sudan dictator

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/11/military-coup-ousts-sudan-dict.html

2 Likes

Well, I am sure this will be a painless transition to a democracy…

11 Likes

Came to say I hope the next dictator is wise and benevolent.

12 Likes

Of course the new leader is wise and benevolent. Why would anyone think treasonous things like they are a dictator? We even have elections which don’t have secret ballots, so everyone can see the love we have for our leadership!

12 Likes

Hmm, sounds like you’re some kind of traitor to the Great Leader, citizen!
Off to the Fun Palace with you!

6 Likes

As bad as the expected value of a military coup is, the situation pre-coup seemed awfully grim, so I’m tempted to think of this as a good thing. I guess you can just call me the eternal optimist!

Best of luck to the people of the region currently known as Sudan (maybe cancel my optimist credentials).

8 Likes

I hope that it turns out well, but the only example of a military coup that brought democracy that I can think of is the Carnation Revolution in Portugal.

10 Likes

“Military seizes control. World rejoices.”

2 Likes

Dangit, why can’t these people ever get ousted by an academic coup or a scientific coup or a coup of culinary workers?

16 Likes

I just need to know if the next authoritarian is pro- or anti-Erdogan.

4 Likes

I’m hoping for an anime coup to save the US. I may be biased.

7 Likes

giphy%20(37)

10 Likes

Given how popular anime avatars are among “alt-right” trolls, the result of an anime coup might not be what you want.

2 Likes

Really? I didn’t know that. Fuck those guys have to put their stink on everything.

9 Likes

The protestors are already protesting against the junta.

2 Likes

Based on the past eight-years of South Sudan independence I am unfortunately feeling very cynical. The people of Sudan and South Sudan deserve better.

2 Likes

Nonviolent revolution can happen. There’s even a how-to guide: https://www.aeinstein.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/FDTD.pdf

0 Likes

The Night of the 9" Santoku Chef Knives?

2 Likes

closed #19

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes