Military parade trombonist faints from heat, falls, then gets up again to continue playing

Originally published at: Military parade trombonist faints from heat, falls, then gets up again to continue playing | Boing Boing

1 Like

Say what you will about the British Army, but they do have spare trombonists on hand when needed.

5 Likes

Wearing a husky on your head probably doesn’t help in the heat

10 Likes

These people are fucking sick. Heat stroke victim experiencing brain trauma and the band plays on.

4 Likes

He wasnt the only one. Longer clip here.

Even the medical staff are wearing full dress uniform. Lunacy

4 Likes

I know that institutional knowledge can get lost over time; but this seems like really bad hot weather performance from an outfit that not so very long ago handled keeping boots on necks across a pretty substantial percentage of the parts of the world that routinely hit 30 degrees.

1 Like

And they ditch the stretcher and have him walk off instead of resting on the way to the emergency room. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The soldiers in the 30C parts of the world had uniforms for suited for the climate. For example:

2 Likes

There’s more than enough space up inside that furry headdress for an active cooling system. Come on boffins, make it happen.

2 Likes

kimmy schmidt inspiration GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

4 Likes

ROTFLMAO @Grey_Devil. Yeah, that doesn’t help. Standing at locked attention doesn’t help either. I think he forgot to flex his knees. You cannot fault their dedication to formality though.

1 Like

I believe those are US Marines rushing in to aid him.

I’ve seen people poking fun, especially since 86 degress isn’t THAT hot, but usually one isn’t in a wool uniform with a bear skin hat either.

Plus, there are videos of US service members passing in out in less heat just from fatigue and things like locking your knees - which can happen even in the cold.

What’s not clear is if 30/86 degrees is from the local weather service, or if that’s what the temps were at that exact spot. It’s like when folks leave their pets in the car, saying, “It’s only 75 degrees outside!” without thinking of what the ambient temperature is inside the car with the windows rolled up.

All that gravel and no shade makes me think it was probably hotter where they stood.

3 Likes

:rofl: Experts are still considering other likely causes:

The Guards partied a little too hard the night before and couldn’t resist a quick nap.
Targets of moderately effective FSB poisoning.
They thought they saw a mother Grizzly defending her cubs.

1 Like

For sure you’re going to get some heat radiating off of the asphalt. And like I said, wool uniform and fur hat? Fuck that.

2 Likes

They look like British Army officer cadets (Sandhurst).

2 Likes

They get given a bag of barley sugar sweets to suck on and if they faint no serving member can help them up. As my girlfriend said, “Maybe change the rules what with ‘all this’ (global warming) happening. Or maybe not make them wear brocade with Paddington on their heads.” Tradition’s one thing then there’s sheer bloody-mindedness…

2 Likes

It doesn’t take a particularly hot day for someone to suffer from heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Besides the overly warm clothes he was likely dehydrated as well, and if there wasn’t much wind that day (and if it was humid) the heat would’ve been felt more intensely.

2 Likes

Ah you’re right, though they are similar uniforms.

The Marine hats are white, and their distinctive red and gold rank patches point up, not down, so that should have been a tip off.

Lighter blue for the pants, but colors can look different on video for various reasons.

I read that it was a joint military parade, so I thought that might mean some US forces stationed in the UK were attending.