Millions of bees fly forth from overturned semi truck

[Permalink]

Obligatory:

14 Likes

Quick! Call Dr BEES!

The destruction of all of those bees, given the health of the honeybee industry as a whole, is truly heartbreaking to me.

14 Likes

Agreed. I watched the video and was horrified to see the fire department spraying all the hives with foam, certainly killing any bees that were in them. Bee hives don’t pose a fire threat, so I wonder why they did that.

The Hive Cluster is Under Attack.

1 Like

Reminds me of the Cher hit, ‘Bees, Bees, Travelling Bees’.

“And every night the men would come around and lay their honey down.”

Thank you, Lynda Barry

3 Likes

At least we know it’s bees, unlike the characters in the Arthur C. Clarke story Critical Mass.

Spoiler alert: they’re bees. COVERED IN BEES!

4 Likes
2 Likes

It is one of the few occasions when the authorities need to be equipped with drones.

1 Like

I’d love some perspective on why it’s necessary to truck millions of bees on interstate hiways. If they’re being foamed to death, doesn’t that make them hazmat?

1 Like

Odd that’s there’s no buzzfeed article on this yet.

3 Likes

Hey anansi133, It’s the time of year when beekeepers are getting their orders of new bees, delivered from bee -breeders; I just picked up a package this week. There are only a few breeders in the U.S., so. . . . cue that trucker song!

Oh right, Spring! If Amazon is allowed to move forward with its areal delivery systems, will your bees eventually arrive via drone?

2 Likes

Millions of bees are a loose on the street
so bee ware . . .
bee . . .
. . . . . . eee
. . . . . . . . . eee
. . . . . . . . . . . . . eee. . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ware.

1 Like

One of the local news posts had a bee expert explain that they saved the hives they could but that each hive must remain intact (i.e. workers with their queen) and that once multiple hives are shuffled together there is no way to undo the damage and that those hives that intermixed are doomed. It sounds like a secondary issue was that as the morning warmed up and the (estimated 14 million) bees became fully active and the scene became unmanageable so the water and foam was to contain the bees before they got completely out of hand.

2 Likes

I guess it’s a lucky thing they were bees and not bullets.

1 Like

No, no, no . . . bees are the pupa form of semi-trucks. The thing was simply reproducing. Too bad more people don’t know this.

4 Likes

3 Likes