Milo Yiannopoulos was taken down by a 16 year old Canadian woman

The age of consent in the UK is 16.

It is not 13 though, which is the problem with Milo.

12 Likes

I would love to see legitimate conservatives back in power. There are a lot of conservative tenets I disagree with, but fiscal responsibility, government restraint, and individual liberties are values that I think we can all get behind.

The problem is that Republicans (and various other self-described conservatives all over the world) don’t really believe in any of those things, and haven’t since, what, the Eisenhower Administration? They’ll tolerate any violation of their self-proclaimed core principles as long as it’s their guy doing it.

I mean, evangelicals voted for Trump. Nuff said.

4 Likes

Not so much the scientists, I believe one of the simplest defining factors is simply a lack of curiosity.
Q: “Is there a curiosity gene?”
A: “Who cares?”

2 Likes

Despite years of Republican propaganda, those are not exclusively “conservative” values, or ones that liberals are somehow opposed to, unless the definition of government restraint is doing nothing to help anyone.

6 Likes

Welcome to Boing Boing! I’m glad you thought your point was good enough that it was worth taking the time to make an account for. I can assure you that we all feel suitably shamed over this hypocrisy, which is almost — though not quite! — as bad as someone suggesting it’s ok to molest 13-year-olds.

14 Likes

Good for her.

The bigger question: is it happening yet? What with those racist arseholes being taken down, is this the beginning of the beginning? Hey, we all gotta have a dream, right? Too many questions, but…

I read that article and was amazed that they didn’t think it would affect them. I have sympathy for the affected family, but for the rest of the town? Fuck 'em.

4 Likes

It’s interesting what is acceptable for their base and what not. I’m pretty sure that in most other countries, “grab 'em by the pussy” would have ended a candidates campaign in minutes, but Drumpfs followers seemed okay with that. I wonder what will be the tipping point for enough conservatives to lose faith in him. Proof of connections to Russia? Release of the golden shower videos? Leaks of his tax returns? Openly admitting his KKK membership? Leaving Melania for Ivanka? Probably none of these…

5 Likes

In Soviet America, 13-year-old molests you.

2 Likes

We now know that Trump leaving Melania for Barron will do it.

Now lets hope it is something less sickening.

3 Likes

I have a Conservative identifying coworker that - when I mentioned the term Progressive Conservative - said “what’s that?” and was unable to wrap her head around the idea of being socially progressive and fiscally responsible at the same time. “Why spend taxpayer money on [program] to give [minority group] breaks I can’t have?”

“Umm… Because repeated studies show that [program] saves money in the long run on other expenses? And giving people a boost tends to stimulate the economy and encourage participation. Plus, it’s the right thing to do?”

I think she still thinks I am making it up.

Edited to fix brain fart when my train of thought got interrupted.

10 Likes

At some times the distinction between girl and woman was based on having had sex. But that isn’t the kind of distinction we want to be making nowadays surely? At different times and in different places the terms girl and boy have had derogatory meanings.

Personally, I prefer the terms “young man” and “young woman” for anyone who has reached puberty, which is an objective phenomenon, but I’m willing to listen to arguments for other usages. In the case of the headline, I feel that it’s the “16 year old” that is immaterial; “by a young Canadian woman” seems enough to make the point.

8 Likes

Ugh. You have my sympathy for having to deal with her.

1 Like

My guess the tipping point would be to suggest raising taxes. LOL

1 Like

Isn’t it interesting that after all the crazy shit this guy said, it was this that brought little Milo down. Yes, what he said about children was horrific, but on the scale of horrific that is Milo, it was only a 6 on that scale. He can say hateful things about blacks, muslims, women, etc and that is all A-OK by the right (speaking engagements, book deals, etc), but talk of children and he is completely shut out and shut down.

On the scale of give a fucks (GAFs) pedophilia (of white kids) is infinite and everything else including all the horrors that child refugees have to endure, non-white child poverty, etc is approximately 0 GAFs.

4 Likes

She comes originally from an Eastern European country, belongs to a small church almost entirely of people from the same PART of that country, and the PCs died before she was born. It’s more that the idea is alien to her than anything. She’s only seen the only-pretending-not-to-be-religious Conservative Party, she never knew the previous incarnation.

I am not saying guys like Mulroney and Charest were paragons of progressivism. But they weren’t as blatantly anti-progress, anti-science as guys like Day and Harper. But trying to explain the concept of a Red Tory in today’s political environment is hard, because there aren’t that many to point to. When you’ve never seen it, it’s hard to comprehend.

4 Likes

Wow…so yall make scary robots in Canada too??

7 Likes

Beautiful camera work though.

2 Likes

I think this is the characteristic that caused Cheney et al to promote Bush II as a presidential candidate. “What am I signing?” “Don’t worry, George, have a pretzel.” “Oh, OK.” “Hey, there’s a war in Iraq. Who started it?” “You did.” “Oh, did I?” “Have a pretzel, George.” “OK”.

1 Like

They hate freedom, they hate progress.

They really don’t want to see the grand experiment of cooperative society succeed

1 Like