Milwaukee mayor fires back after Trump calls his city horrible: He's "unhinged"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/13/milwaukee-mayor-fires-back-after-trump-calls-his-city-horrible-right-back-at-you-buddy.html

13 Likes

How did I know just from the headline that the mayor is Black?

19 Likes

In addition to the horrible crime and the voter fraud in Milwaukee, he forgot to mention the rampant illegal immigration. /s

11 Likes

So it’s completely true, then?

Okay, let’s leave aside the “voter fraud” bit* - one bemoans the crime rate by saying that it’s a “horrible city”? Really? Are they going to follow this up with a claim that Trump actually said “Milwaukee has a horrible crime rate for such a nice city” but he said some words so quickly and softly that all people heard was “Milwaukee is a horrible city”? I mean, seriously - we know Trump, we know that’s exactly what he would say, and he’s said identical things about a lot of American cities.

*Because, let’s face it, his previous complaints about “voter fraud” there basically just amount to saying that Black people voted, therefore it was fraudulent. Although, in this case, the “defense” isn’t that he was talking about crime and voter fraud - one Republican stooge who was there claims that Trump was clearly talking about crime, another claims it was only about voter fraud, and another claims that Trump didn’t talk about it at all. Real reliable witnesses there.

But you know, he does have a point…

14 Likes

A search of the conservative subreddits this evening didn’t turn up a single mention today of the word ‘Milwaukee.’

8 Likes

We have Something Even Worse slouching toward our fair city:

The venue’s owners decided to allow a nazi meeting in the heart of Downtown because capitalism, (ETA:) and evidently the people of Detroit have no say in who gets to come there, despite our taxes’ helping pay for the joint.

19 Likes

I can see a spike in Milwaukee’s criminal population around July 15-18, as grifters and marks of all sizes flock to the city.

18 Likes

And “crime” means that Black people live there.

18 Likes
19 Likes

PLEASE Dems, learn to play hardball with these asshats. Civility only works with folks who are willing to be civil.

I Want More Elektra Abundance GIF by Pose FX

16 Likes

Enough with the damned Trumpsplaining! He had a mean-spirited brain-fart, and let it loose – because he’s Donald Trump. That’s what he does.

19 Likes

Hey, other New Yorkers have gone to Milwaukee and done quite well. For instance Joan Rivers, who credited the city with helping her career.

I was doing very well, I just hit on the Carson show," Rivers said in the 2006 interview. "And my agent came and said to my husband, ‘She’s too New York and she’s too Jewish, she’ll never break through.’

"My husband says, 'Pick the worst city in America for comedy, and send her there, ‘cause you guys are crazy.’

“And they sent me to the Pfister (Hotel in Milwaukee), and it was fabulous. I have such a warm spot for Milwaukee. My agent finally said, ‘Maybe she can be national.’”

Source

17 Likes

Doesn’t the Incontinent Illiterate hate everywhere that isn’t his gold plated toilet?

9 Likes

Here’s the spin from republicans.

And Marge had things to say.

There are a lot of reporters talking about President Trump’s remarks to the House GOP conference this morning who weren’t even in the room.

He NEVER said what reporters are saying about the city of Milwaukee. And I’m so excited to be there with President Trump next month as he officially accepts the Republican nomination for president for the third time.

She also tweeting meaningful policy talk today.

8 Likes

Yeah, Trump is always going on about “crime” in cities where it’s not actually high… but where a diverse population definitely didn’t vote for him…

It’s hilarious they’re trying to position it as some sort of calculated political maneuver given he routinely says similar things about various cities, and he just assumed it wouldn’t cause any issues for him this time, either.

10 Likes

STFU, sporkfoot.

6 Likes

Milwaukee has certainly had its share of visitors.

10 Likes

The Biden campaign is on top of it.

7 Likes

Indeed. Someone should point out that the crime rate is not only much lower in Milwaukee but also trending in the opposite direction than Trump Tower in NYC, Mar a Lago…

5 Likes

“Republicans pretending to be genuinely concerned about crime” was getting tiresome even before they decided to support a convicted felon for the Presidency.

10 Likes