Minecraft is for the children

Originally published at: Minecraft is for the children - Boing Boing

3 Likes

I guess it’s different if you’re an adult who still plays Minecraft for recreation but this is no surprise to me. If you get out to places where you see kids, you will see a lot of them wearing Minecraft stuff, there’s Minecraft tie-in books in the kid’s section of bookstores, there’s a Little Free Library a couple blocks away from me painted like a Minecraft creeper that mostly has kid’s books show up in it. Minecraft’s for kids.

You only start to get gritty adult reboots of corporate properties once people who grew up consuming them are old enough to direct them.

12 Likes

They’re due it. Goodness knows they deserve a little joy before they grow into whatever adulthood late-stage capitalism has planned for them.

10 Likes

And then if the franchise is popular enough you get gritty reboots of the gritty reboots until a colorful, kitschy character once played by Adam West is a tortured vigilante who beats people into bloody pulps while trying to track down a sadistic serial killer.

10 Likes

Sure, it’s marketed for kids, but kids entertainment can still be fun for adults if written well:

• Rugrats
  • Bluey
  • Batman: The Animated Series
  • Malcom in the Middle
  • Gravity Falls
  • Steven Universe
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (though the Bronies kinda ruined it for everyone else)
  • Phineas and Ferb
  • Adventure Time
12 Likes

I can attest. My kids have been playing it almost all their lives, and still play it.

My eldest plays high level ice hockey (Junior A) and his teammates last year had a server that they ALL built and played in, for months. AFAIK it is still going, though the team selling and multiple trades have meant that the players are spread across the continent.

8 Likes

Anxious, insecure, screen-addicted, inescapable advertising-manipulated, subscribed, locked-in consumptionalists.

2 Likes

Yeah, but there are downsides to it too. /s

9 Likes

… I have become fascinated by this weird little word and its etymology, whether it’s a recent random slang term or actually the original meaning of an ancient Indo-European root (see Teil etc.) that we’ve almost forgotten

like, it’s probably a coincidence that quesadilla means “cheese thing” — but is it :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s definitely not. I’m 55 and I’ve been using that word since I was a child. It’s similar to thingamajig, whosiewhatsit, and doohickey, except for concepts rather than objects.

3 Likes

We used the variants “deely-bob” and “deely-bobber” along with the others you listed. We also used “widget”, but the fun went out of that one when people started using it to describe user interface elements. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.