Minneapolis police are so afraid of nude beachgoers, they are using drones to catch them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/15/minneapolis-police-are-so-afra.html

9 Likes

They aren’t even going after people going fully nude?

If seeing an exposed breast is enough to scar someone, most of us were scarred before we ever went on solid foods. Sheesh.

25 Likes

25 Likes

Yeah… they’re using drones on the nude beach to …catch people. Right.

(I’m not (just) being facetious. After all people abuse their power for creepy reasons all the time. The NSA has a euphemistic creepy term for it and all)

12 Likes
11 Likes

I for one would like to thank the Minneapolis police for proving that they are both using resources appropriately and a net benefit to the community.

8 Likes

Oh for 0(*£&!I*)! sake! Have you ever been to Minneapolis? There are maybe 5 days each year that are suitable for suntanning. Let those poor people be!

18 Likes

IMO - as long as the areas are clearly marked - nude beaches or parks should be allowed. As I understand it, they are fairly common in parts of Europe.

Seriously - fucking Puritans…

13 Likes

The next logical move is to deploy Predator Drones. /s

2 Likes

Abso-fucking-lutely. Although they are dying out a bit with sun exposure not being seen as a positive anymore.

But yeah, it’s not really uncommon to see nudists even in non-specifically marked areas on lakes or so.

That is an excellent photo of Minneapolis. There’s the beautiful Missi-Vlatava river, the famous Charles (Charlie) Brown pedestrian bridge, and of course the U.S. Bank Cathedral.

6 Likes

Here it’s legal (not illegal?) to be nude anywhere at anytime. The only limitation is no deliberate (or gratuitous? I forget the exact legalese used) display of genitalia. Which, ironically, makes it easier for women than men.

And yes, I have seen people walking topless down the street in the middle of the day. When police get complaints, they usually just tell people to grow up.

19 Likes

Where is “here”?

2 Likes

Oh quick, someone find me a reference for this, as I recall from a doc about the FKK in Germany.

In the early days of the GDR the East German police were sent to round up folks sunbathing nude on a beach. The identification demanded was clearly not available, so the police demanded the sun bathers follow them to the car. They obliged and followed the officers en masse, leaving the cops to deal with a nude crowd around their cruiser and eventually give up.

Minneapolites are following in some glorious footsteps!

7 Likes

I remember the days, not long ago, when San Francisco hadn’t criminalized the human body. It was great to see people complying with the shoes and shirt requirement in a Walgreens. The impetus for outlawing it was people of color harmlessly dancing in the Castro. White people still don’t get ticketed on Bay to Breakers or Folsom Street Fair.

Minneapolis has a beach??

2 Likes

Well Minnesota is known as The Land of 10,000 lakes, so I assume some of them have “beaches”. And there must be some lakes near Minneapolis, as there was one in Purple Rain.

5 Likes

This is oddly enough the best news I’ve seen all day.

Not the cop-ters, but the crowds joining to support the melanin-Americans. Good on ya!

3 Likes

So… we have to add to the list of things that cops are scared of partially nude black people

I gotta be honest here, I’m betting that partially nude people are probably pretty low on the list of dangerous/threatening things you could potentially encounter.

I mean, what are you possibly going to do? Make me feel inadequate? …Oh… now I get why the cops care so much if people are going nude.

2 Likes

It isn’t a permafrost frozen tundra. Each of my last three summers there saw temperatures over 95 F for about a week. 4th of July in 1988 and in 1989 were in the 108 and 104 F, respectively.

Yeah, @Chuckles: Land of 10,000 lakes has a whole lot of beaches. My best guess is Bde Maka Ska (formerly known as Lake Calhoun) or Lake Harriet.

5 Likes