Minneapolis police are so afraid of nude beachgoers, they are using drones to catch them

Probably was “hidden beach” on Cedar lake.

1 Like

based on the flag…New Zealand?

or one of many Island Nations that use the Union Jack with blue space below (Falklands, Pitcairn, Cayman Islands, Turks and Caicos…)

1 Like

A great Minneapolis beach! Famously featured on the cover of Hüsker Dü’s classic album New Day Rising

2 Likes

@rhdc @ugh
It was Twin Lake in Golden Valley. The lake is partly within Theodore Wirth Park.

@Chuckles

5 Likes
1 Like

They claim that the drone surveillance is legal, but if they fly over any person, they are flying illegally.

Drone Rules & FAA Regulations

§ 107.39 Operation over human beings.

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being unless that human being is:

(a) Directly participating in the operation of the small unmanned aircraft; or

(b) Located under a covered structure or inside a stationary vehicle that can provide reasonable protection from a falling small unmanned aircraft.

4 Likes

The human body is disgusting and you should be ashamed for having one. or something like that.

4 Likes

Depends on where you are I suppose. I can get a CASA drone operators license which lets me fly in places where an unlicensed pilot can not.

I‘m curious, why would the areas need to be clearly marked?

Personally, I think being nude is free speech. Everything else is, why not that.

Especially in the territory of the former GDR. :grinning:

What should worry us is that it is worthy of discussion when people remove their clothes on a nice warm day, and that there is even a special term for those who do. That‘s one dominant normative ideology right here. There should be a word for people who don’t do that.

1 Like

Based on the flag it could be Australia, where each state and territory might have different laws on nudity.

Even if you have a CASA drone operators license, you still have to follow the FAA part 107 Regulations. It states the you can’t fly over people, as I posted above.

So you can no longer, “purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka”?

2 Likes

Australia’s flag has a star beneath the Union Jack so I ruled it out for avatar-matching purposes. Not that avatar/flag matching is an exact science or anything.

Of course. I’m just going on my son’s reports that there are precious few days of sunlight, and those can be unbearably humid. My son has a low tolerance for humid days, so maybe there’s some whining built into his reports.
But still, Minnesotans need all of the vitamin-D synthesis they can get.

2 Likes

Thanks to more than a thousand old septic tanks and lots of huge boats with toilets - Lake Minnetonka is one step removed from an open sewer. You really couldn’t purify anything in that lake unless you boiled the whole thing.

I’m all for doing what you want, more or less. But also not forcing yourself on others.

There are people who may not want to look at naked people. That’s fine. If you have an area marked “nude beach” I can then decide to proceed or not.

Perhaps it could be considered free speech, but we also have have that in specific times and places. My “Fuck you, you fucking fuck” fits in on Bourbon Steet at night. Not so much as the play ground during the day. Same reason we don’t run Nightmare on Elm Street after Peppa Pig. Or same with things like smoking. Don’t care if you smoke tobacco or weed, I’d prefer to not be around it. I know someone with only one working lung who can’t be around it. So rope it off so that we may decide to go around or not.

Well that explains a lot. Golden Valley is not Minneapolis!

3 Likes

You mean forcing others to wear clothes because you don’t want to see them naked? :grinning:

There are people who may not want to look at gay people, people kissing, MAGA hats, black people, nuns, prostitutes or scientists.

If you have an area marked “clothing only” you can do the same, right?

Let’s take a look at your examples:

1. as far as I can tell it doesn’t hurt kids in any way to hear or use the word “fuck” (as long as it’s not used in threats, e.g. “I will fucking kill you little fuck when I fucking catch you”), it’s just some adults who have a problem with that (maybe those who don’t fuck enough?)
  2. young kids will most likely suffer consequences (e.g. nightmares,) when watching horror movies
  3. while passive smoke mostly affects people in closed rooms, smoking in public is arguably a much more significat public health issue, because the more people smoke in public, the more people (especially) kids pick it up, amplifying the problem.

Being nude in public is mostly like saying “fuck” in public: no harm done, but some people choose to be offended by it. Why should their personal choice dictate other people’s behaviour?

I guess Prince was misguided. :slight_smile:

That was 30 years ago…