Minuteman white militia co-founder gets 19½ years for sexually abusing 5-Year-Old

Why is it that white supremacists are so often the most compelling argument against the idea of white supremacy?

7 Likes

I’m very glad this monster will be removed from society but his sentence is only 19 years? Piece of shit should spend the rest of his life behind bars.

You know sentencing guidelines are seriously fucked up when drug possession can get you life while abusing your own children gets less than 20.

My only hope is he serves every day of this in PMITA prison with no early release.

4 Likes

Why? 19 years is not an insignificant quantity. I get that drug possession is oversentenced, but he should get what murderers get? He didn’t kill someone. Why do we have to lose all sense of proportion? Yes, rape is terrible and the rape of a child is unconscionable, but not all terrible crimes suddenly merit the worst penalties we have just because they’re unconscionable. Fine, maybe 19 years isn’t enough, and maybe 25 is, maybe 30 is. We can argue about what these time lengths mean and how that works. But always going straight to “equivalent with murder” as a knee-jerk reaction is how we get disastrous mandatory minimum and other huge prison problems that contribute to the US having one of the highest incarceration rates on the planet.

Yeah, huge prison problems like this. Let’s just sentence people to be raped. At least then there’ll be some honesty about how we treat this issue.

5 Likes

I thought you were talking about the “Double Nickels on the DIme” Minutemen. Whew.

1 Like

I see where you’re coming from and some might argue that premeditated murder is the pinnacle of crime that all other offenses should be compared to. I think this is a false paradigm.

Abuse, especially sexual abuse of a minor is, in my opinion, the absolute worst crime possible. This crime is perpetrated against the most innocent and defenseless among us. Abuse often has life-long debilitating impacts to the victims and rips at our social fabric - even more so than murder. Perpetrators have demonstrated that they can no longer be trusted and should be removed from society for as long as possible.

The problem when we look at cases like this and compare them against other heinous crimes is proportionality get lost as you say. A rapist of adult women can get a life sentence in one state while a child rapist gets 20 years. Which crime is worse? They’re both equally horrible and they should both have similar sentences that removes the perpetrator from ever possibly re-offending.

Compound this with the historical racist aspects of the failed drug war and our entire prison system is completely fucked up. This all smacks of inconsistency which raises the hackles of most people’s sense of justice and fairness.

Agreed that prison is not funny in real life. My flippant response was not meant as condoning the act of prison rape nor saying that it is a justified practice. Merely quoting the movie as a way to make a point.

2 Likes

Adding to that, murder can be ethically justifiable, whereas there is never any justification for child molestation. (Severely diminished mental capacity might get close, but that’s more an explanation than a justification. The offender needs to be removed from society regardless.)

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.