Miss Hitler hopeful jailed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/09/miss-hitler-hopeful-jailed.html

4 Likes

Sounds like one of the fine people on both sides of the pro-hitler / anti-hitler debate.

23 Likes

Our dystopian present sure is crazy.

16 Likes

The talent portion of the beauty contest was something to behold…

25 Likes

On one hand Hitler was evil incarnate. On the other hand he was killed by Hitler.

23 Likes

As I pointed out recently

24 Likes

20200228_220138

12 Likes

Seriously? How do people end up like that? Intellectually I can probably see that there probably is some kind of explanation about radicalisation, upbringing, to much exposure to white supremacism at some crucial point in life from the wrong/right persons in your life and yada yada yada. But I still don’t get how people end up like that…

21 Likes

This is where the Gilmore Girls jumped the shark for me.

12 Likes

Is this the time to drag out my “It Should Be Okay to Punch a Nazi” rhetoric? Because this kind of thing (probably) wouldn’t happen if they all knew they could get socked in the nose (I believe).

7 Likes

So they aren’t very fine people?

12 Likes

tenor

In fact, I support punching Nazis.

20 Likes

Imprisonment needn’t end Ms. Cutler’s dreams of racist beauty queendom. It’s not like there’s a high demand for personal appearances from Miss Hitler. I’m confident she can carry out her duties from the hoosegow.

11 Likes

Because fascism is charming to the stupid. That is, those people who mistake aggressiveness for strength, the same people thinking that going around beating people equals to showing strength and courage, the same people who believe that respect must be imposed rather than earned. They’re inherently destructive and will rather destroy what’s good rather than attempting to build something better.
That also explains why there are very very few creative artists among them.

15 Likes

If anyone is interested in what the sentences actually were … (surely a key part of the story?) …

Cutter was jailed for three years, while Jones received a five-and-a-half-year prison term.

Jack was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in prison, and Scothern was handed a sentence of detention for 18 months.

11 Likes

Fascists also try to recruit vulnerable people because the are easier to manipulate. They tried to do it to me when I was being bullied at school, they were friendly for a few weeks before they started to slowly introduce fascist ideas. When I realised what was going on I started to make excuses about not going out because I was ill and they lost interest, but I wish I had realised earlier.

26 Likes

Big WTF. In the eighties when I was at school fascism was rampant among youngsters over here (Italy) but it was rather like violent idiots embracing those ideals because they believed it made them look cool, not an organized recruitment. If you experienced that in school then authorities should seriously dig into it because I’m sure there’s someone somewhere pulling their strings for his own plans.

2 Likes

I doubt that’s it was just “people trying to look cool”, given that at the same time in the 80s, here in the US, the sort of tactics described by @the_borderer were already being used to recruit people into the white power movement. They were already globalized tactics being employed in the Anglo world by the 80s. I doubt that a former fascist state was left out of that, considering you saw something similar (though buried deeper underground) in Germany, too.

This has never just been a bunch of wayward kids. It’s always been organized violence aimed at taking over the state.

Please. If you complain about being bullied then you get punished, not the bullies. Because the bullies function to keep the outsiders if not in line, then at the very least afraid.

8 Likes

I doubt that a former fascist state was left out of that

It wasn’t in fact. I didn’t see recruiting at school probably because it had been done already before. In the 70s and 80s we already had people killed by fascist terrorists.

Fascism was declared illegal after WWII but it silently survived until it could resurface. Now that most people who experienced it are dead (it started in the 1920’s here) they can become legitimate again under different names.

If you complain about being bullied then you get punished, not the bullies. Because the bullies function to keep the outsiders if not in line, then at the very least afraid.

I was referring to recruiting people to fascist movements, not bullying. If I got it right, the OP was probably meaning that bullied kids were easier to lure into it for being part of a strong community, stop being loners etc. so IMO it’s likely there was someone planning to build an “army” that one day they could use for who knows what.

3 Likes

In retrospect, Lorelei quoting Mussolini on her wedding invites (“we have buried the putrid corpse of liberty”) gave a pretty big hint at their leanings.

2 Likes