Mississippi Republican Secretary of State worried about "woke college students" voting

Woke? College students woke? Us? Like… woke before noon if they had no morning classes and stayed steady up till two in the morning quaffing kegger beer? That kinda woke? Burb… and you want me to squeeze in a few moments to vote? In between Calculus and English Lit? I can do that… mebbe I’ll just do a mail in ballot, kay? … Woke? 'Splain please… Is that something that gets studied over in the campus sleep lab? Pre Med stuff ?? Dunno… burb.

4 Likes

Yeah, that seemed like a case of jaundice.

Those republicons are going to be upset when “woke college students” graduate and are still voting.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s some “Freedom Fries” you have there.

3 Likes

That tuber looks like it wants to take over a Central American country and rule with an authoritarian regime.

(Get it… a dictator… dick…tater?)

3 Likes

No, I don’t get it.

7 Likes

Amazing that the subtext is “We can’t compete on policy and aren’t interested in even trying” from the same party that howled about “hearts and minds” for every pointless conflict they’ve committed the USA to burning piles of cash.

5 Likes

Exactly! I think of the citizenship exam every time one of my righty neighbors spouts off about immigrants, because there is NO WAY they (the neighbors) would pass.

1 Like

And any other answer would get you disqualified.

1 Like

I am reminded of the reason why there was a British National Teenage Party in the 1960s. (Yes, they were the predecessor of the Monster Raving Loony Party)

Starting in 1963, David Sutch, head of the rock group Screaming Lord Sutch and the Savages, stood in British parliamentary elections under a range of party names, initially as the National Teenage Party candidate. At that time the minimum voting age was 21. The party’s name was intended to highlight what Sutch and others viewed as hypocrisy, since teenagers were unable to vote because of their supposed immaturity while the adults running the country were involved in scandals such as the Profumo affair.

5 Likes

Our friend Wilhoit strikes again …

Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

“Why are your policy ideas so unconvincing that the only way you can achieve them is literally by preventing people who disagree with them from voting? That’s what dictators do, sir. Stalin and Mao would be proud of you.”

6 Likes

So who are “unimportant citizens” going to vote for?

“Woke” is clearly the new Republican code word for “Black”, right?

2 Likes

Given that it’s an expression assimilated from AAVE, I’m gonna say yes.

2 Likes

They must have included it in one of their recent secret conservative talking point memos because it’s popping up everywhere a conservative is discussing voting these days.

1 Like

I think to them “woke” means, “NOT a bigoted misogynistic fuckwit who cares nothing for other people’s well-being”.
I’m trying to come up with a good acronym, but it’s Friday and my brain is tired.

7 Likes

I think to them ‘woke’ is a turncoat white person who isn’t playing for the home team anymore. Very dangerous: you can’t tell by looking, and probably the reason for things like MAGA caps and U.S. flag clothing…a way to signal which team you’re on now that skin color allegiance is no longer a foregone conclusion.

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.