Mississippi Senate runoff: Openly racist Cindy Hyde-Smith (R) defeats Mike Espy (D)

(It’s a second language around here. Maybe the Boing Boing Shop can offer a course. :innocent:)

9 Likes

Guess the boycott of Mississippi Mudpies continues.

1 Like

“The calendar is lying when it reads the present time.”

1 Like

The thing that irks me the most is how this win is going to make her and her constituents feel even more justified in their racism.

13 Likes

Eh - Obamacare was passed with zero Republican votes.

Republicans push consensus when they lose. The way for Dems to get anything really important done is to win.

11 Likes

No it isn’t.

What degree of consensus was used to get the 2018 Tax plan passed. The one which represents a $1.5T looting of public resources in a giveaway to the wealthy?

16 Likes

That’s some weapons-grade whataboutism/bothsiderism right there.

15 Likes

Or we could maintain logical consistency and assume that if we had heard of her earlier (considering most of us likely are not in Mississippi) much we’d have had similar views.

4 Likes

I’m not so sure. Didn’t a UN report on Alabama had the worst poverty in the first world?

See Al Franken. Yes, the Dems have (recently at least) actually had a habit of dealing with Dems who act badly. There’s no equivalence.

14 Likes

I like how y’all are responding to the obvious troll with way more decency than it deserves.

Fuck consensus. And racists. Whichever party signs their checks.

8 Likes

And whichever rich fucks sign their party’s checks.

6 Likes

It’s a club here in the Gulf region - an arc of ignorance from Mexico to Key West. Add in the Bible and you’ve got a veritable “belt” of stupidity, poverty, lack of education, superstition, gullibility, guns, and people stuck in a Civil War ethos. If you like football, come on down!

If Espy had white skin he would have had a chance.

2 Likes

Yes, she won, but

In a state Trump won by 18 points, she won by only eight. Several judges were also elected in the state. All are black, and all but one are women.

No, the skies didn’t open and the seas part. But gains were made.

And remember: if you say things like “Fuck 'em” about the entire state, you’re saying it not just about the folks privileged enough to be able to vote again (they can afford the time to take a second trip to the polls, for one thing) you’re also saying it about the people who don’t have that luxury. You’re saying it about all the people who fought long and hard to pull a black man and a Democrat into position for there to be a runoff.

Am I happy that open racism has once again been rewarded? No. But I am not going to blame the victims or write them off because of it.

10 Likes

ds9-quark-shocked

2 Likes

It’s never NOT time for Nina Simone…

3 Likes

It’s too fucking bad that the thing we can’t reach a consensus on is that ALL of us are human beings with intrinsic worth deserving of equal rights and protections under the laws… The GOP has decided in recent years to throw their hat in the ring with the people who believe that some of us are less deserving. Hence the utter contempt with which some of us view the party as it currently stands.

enterprise-tpol-oppress-minorities-no-rule

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.