Mississippi: White woman who pulled gun on Black couple at KOA campground fined $250

Cute. But you really need to add 1 meter to the number shown to account for the scale starting well above the floor. That puts her at about 5 feet and 3 or 4 inches her in the imperial-scale world. About average.

1 Like

also anyone with a god damn brain.

1 Like

On a similar theme:

8 Likes

This is a real bummer. I like those campgrounds. Specifically because you’re gonna road trip and plan to tent camp rather than hotel it, it’s a reliable chain that lets you check in late, always has clean restrooms and showers and a nice little general store. You can camp for under 30 bucks when hotels that aren’t disgusting seem to cost between 70 and 100 bucks.
Also might note that although it’s a chain and they seem to have standards, I think each one is individually owned and operated. So that leaves a lot of room for the racial prejudice of owners… I’ve never had a problem… but then again I’m white, and camping seems to be a very white pastime in this country… :frowning:

3 Likes

On a related note, I learned last week that 58% of firearms charges in my town are dismissed. It seems like with a missed opportunity.

1 Like

Yeah, definitely a franchise. I’ve been to some open and friendly ones, but as you point out, it’s sometimes hard to see past the curtain when you’re a white patron.

3 Likes

I’m kind of curious as to whether KOA’s owners supported the civil rights bills. Perhaps Jim Crow wasn’t a thing in 1962 Wyoming or Montana, but eventually there were southern franchises. Difficult to get a relevant answer with google, though,

Well you can probably guess the owners of at least half of the companies around in the 60s were against it. And few companies that were around in 1960 look the same or have the same people running it in 2019. I mean, i’d never buy a Ford if it was the same Ford of the 30s, for example. But I think trying to infer something from the name alone isn’t a fruitful exercise. There is a marketing trope using misspellings to separate one from their competitors. I mean, with this logic, we would assume Krispie Kreme is even worse.

The fact they fired the lady sets fine with me. It is difficult to condemn a whole company on the actions of some of their workers or franchise owners. It is when their actual policies or failure to confront issues that are a problem that I can condemn them, e.g. not wanting to supply employees with birth control.

3 Likes

There. Fixed the logo for you.

1 Like

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/25/business/krispy-kreme-nazi-ties/index.html

Of course, I don’t think the name of the company has anything to do with it. But their family history is coincidentally worse!

7 Likes

Fuck. All corporations are fucking evil, in some way shape or form.

6 Likes

The owner of the Krusty Krab is a greedy bastard with little regard for health codes or labor laws, but as far as I know he never demonstrated any kind of bigotry.

2 Likes

Also, “Nazi ancestors” is such a neat way to not say, “the owners’ father and grandfather”.

“Oh, that was generation ago.”

3 Likes

Well, that is quite a coincidence.

The family that owns well-known consumer brands like Krispy Kreme doughnuts, Keurig Dr. Pepper and Panera Bread say their Nazi ancestors used slave labor during World War II.

Funny how the the headline centered in on Krispie Kreme. Why not Keurig - it sounds more German and their company is more evil. Or Dr Pepper? I have a suspicion he isn’t even really a doctor. (Oh no, not Panera!)

Anyway - the reality is though - none of those companies have anything to do with Nazis directly. Krispie Kreme was a private company until the 2000 and then was later sold to this JAB Holding conglomerate. So the name has nothing to do with Nazis or some other nefarious connection. It is just delicious donuts that are bad for you if you eat too many. Same with all those other companies, they started out as different things, and later bought by this giant JAB Holding.

And here is a reality - pretty much any German company is going to have people who own them who have ties to the Nazis in their history. Unless you were part of the underground or one of the persecuted who was imprisoned or escaped, you had ties to the Nazis. They had control of everything, fascists and all. Even Oskar Schindler was member of the Nazi Party at one point.

Now there were different degrees, some just did it because that was the law, and others were True Believers, but evidently all of the True Believers were killed in WWII and the survivors just got caught up in it /s.

Remember too all the West German officers standing guard against the Soviets and their work with NATO in the 50s and 60s - had Nazi ties. It is a stain on their history.

1 Like

(Okay, there are, but in my experience actual coincidence is rather rare. Almost everything is connected, albeit usually tangentially.)

2 Likes

These aren’t the people anyone should make apologies for, and their family is sitting on the money they made from that time. This was more than “ties”, in this case.

But Andreas Wirsching, director of the Leibniz Institute for Contemporary History, tells Bennhold that Reimann Sr. and Reimann Jr. were unusual in that they seemed to directly participate in the abuse of workers. “It was very common for companies to use forced laborers—but it was not common for a company boss to be in direct and physical contact with these forced laborers,” Wirsching explains.

4 Likes

I’m not apologizing for anyone. Just saying that these other brands don’t have anything to do with it other than they happened to be bought by a large company.

The whole question of “what about reparations or punishments for companies that used slave labor during WWII” is a question Germany wrestled with since the end of the war. Any of the industrial companies most certainly had slave labor, like the car companies. I am not sure what the solution is, and each year that goes by makes it less likely anything substantial will be done.

There are cases of companies donating to charities as sort of a penitence, including JAB.

Yeah. Ever wonder why there are so many pastimes that seem very white? Could it be the racist white assholes with guns that try to keep them very white pastimes? It’s a shame. White people suck. (I’m white, fwiw)

3 Likes

This has a little more detail. She was charged with misdemeanor brandishing. 500 fine max.

In Michigan, it’s a misdemeanor as well, but you would lose your CPL license.

4 Likes

article says that it’s punishable by up to 3 months in jail. (in addition to the fine)

4 Likes