No arrest or charges for white Florida woman who shot and killed black neighbor after yelling racial slurs at her children

Originally published at: No arrest or charges for white Florida woman who shot and killed black neighbor after yelling racial slurs at her children | Boing Boing

4 Likes

No fucking charges???

24 Likes

That sounds like something the courts should decide, not the police.

34 Likes

The fucking law actually says no:

(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use or threatened use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using or threatening to use force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used or threatened was unlawful.

16 Likes

Stating the obvious: If there is a door between you and someone you are “standing your ground” against, you are not standing your ground. You are murdering someone.

45 Likes

I think most people would agree, but we’re talking Florida here. Anything white on goes.

11 Likes

Can we agree the shooter was a Karen?

3 Likes

I wish our shooter would have called us instead of taking actions into her own hands

“Our shooter?” WTF even is that? Do you get to be an honorary cop if you kill someone in cold blood?

23 Likes

While that is true, you left out straight, cis and fascist. Anyone else is fair game.

9 Likes

“Stand your Ground” laws always apply to White people killing Black people, but never to Black people killing White People.

16 Likes

I mean, she committed battery/aggravated assault against the kid before she even got the gun out, but what the hey. :man_shrugging:

29 Likes

Yeah, ‘stand your ground’ law is like a license to murder. You provoke and provoke and if you get the angry reaction you want you can cry “I’m afraid for my life” and kill the person.

16 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much the game. “Angry Black people are scary” even if they are angry because you are an asshole. Black Americans are not allowed to be angry, I guess. Under penalty of death.

19 Likes

yup. they can and should arrest her for that, and for theft since she took their property. that’d give them plenty of time to determine: you don’t get to shoot people

12 Likes

Not yet. Keep putting pressure on them and they might press charges.

If you recall, there were no initally charges when Andrew Lester shot Ralph Yarl, either, but that changed.

9 Likes

Exactly. A sterling example of how reactionaries capture a narrative by inventing an earworm label to dress a reprehensible idea in a cloak of righteousness (see also right to life, school choice, political correctness, etc.). It sucks that it’s so, but liberal politicians need to develop their own gotchas if they’re going to reclaim lost territory. For example they might characterize “stand your ground laws” as “kill at will laws.” Stupid that life and death issues should be reduced to advertising slogans, but it’s a meme, meme world.

12 Likes

That’s bullshit.
The fuck is wrong with Florida?

7 Likes

Patton Oswalt can tell you all about it in a couple of his past stand-up acts.

8 Likes

It shouldn’t be reduced to a “Florida thing,” which ignores all the other places where “Stand Your Ground” is a legal concept and is used to justify killing people, and therefore makes the problem seem localized.

https://www.findlaw.com/criminal/criminal-law-basics/states-that-have-stand-your-ground-laws.html

11 Likes

Grotesque. Assaulting a child should get you thrown in jail, but… Floriduh?
What’s that? It was a white lady attacking, err I mean defending herself! from a black child? Fetch mah fainting couch… ah feel an attack of thuh vapors acumin on.

Then murdering her mother and no charges or arrest? We still have a very long way to go…

6 Likes