Missouri's Josh Hawley runs on Christian fascism

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/09/missouris-josh-hawley-runs-on-christian-fascism.html

5 Likes

Not surprised. Quoting myself from four years ago…

19 Likes

And yet the very first words in the very first Amendment in the Bill of Rights are “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion…”

Funny, that.

25 Likes

NAT-C

19 Likes

The only good Nazi is still a dead Nazi.

16 Likes

I definitely don’t miss Hawley after moving from Missouri. :confused:

11 Likes

If Hawley and the other “Christian” fascists actually practiced what Biblical Jesus preached, I wouldn’t mind them as much. Things like:

Matthew 6:6, “But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.”

[You can believe whatever you want (within reason; if you believe in human sacrifice that would be a bit much) but don’t try to force your religious beliefs down others’ throats.]

Matthew 7:1, “Judge not, that ye be not judged.”

Matthew 19:17-19, "And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

13 Likes

More like Nas-ty.

3 Likes

And before that, in the original document they said:

“Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.”

7 Likes

Obligatory gif for the BBS.

6 Likes

I wanted to correct him that the national motto is “E pluribus unum” - which is a wonderful motto - but noooo, they fucking officially changed it in 1956 to that God shit.

Sigh

6 Likes

Golly, Josh, could have sworn Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, and many others were actually all Deists. And Jefferson famously cut up a couple of Bibles to make his own version he felt was true to Jesus’ actual teachings, saying

"I have performed the operation for my own use,” he continued, “by cutting verse by verse out of the printed book, and arranging the matter, which is evidently his and which is as easily distinguished as diamonds in a dunghill.”

2 Likes

Unnatural acts.

JoshKiss

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.