Mitch McConnell shares a proposed plan for a second impeachment trial

Sort of. As I understand it, a PAC can’t directly coordinate with a candidate, but other than that, there are essentially no restrictions on how it can be spent, even for things a campaign would otherwise be on the hook for. And proving coordination would be nearly impossible. If he’s actually good at anything, it’s using inference in his language without directly stating his demands. PACs are the dirtiest of dark money.

5 Likes

In these rare circumstances, I believe we have a gift to everyone, including the GOP.

5 Likes

The reason you impeach him is to same reason you put heads on pikes: as a warning to the others who would try the same.

But the utilitarian cynic in me says impeaching him will only make it harder to get stuff done in Congress and through the media. I think deep censure and a whole lot of laws curbing executive authority will suffice.

4 Likes

Can we start with the DoJ’s tradition of not indicting a sitting president?

4 Likes

That would depend on whether the Secret Service can outsource this to a bunch of pro-Trump co-inmates.

Can we include Pence in the articles of Impeachment?
Asking for a friend.

(I am thinking Pence may change his tune on the 25th Amendment implementation if his name is included in the articles of impeachment/disqualification, forever excluding him for running for President.)

8 Likes

As expected McConnell is just going to run out the clock so he doesn’t have to take a stand.

8 Likes

Can we have the inauguration held inside the capitol and then proceed to the impeachment vote the same day?

3 Likes

9 Likes

I think it’s to early to forgive and forget. In time that’s best however right now we should show the world and our fellow citizens what law and order looks like.

We all see, sorry to digress but the lawlessness at DC and around the nation is in response to a “call to action” from Trump. His actions and provocation caused this terror.

I can not abide the racist double standard that law enforcement shows to citizens of color vs white Trump fools.

Where were the mass arrests? The beatings? Rubber bullets? Horses and dogs the police used against BLM? And why does a white women getting shot she is “Tragic loss of a veteran life” but why a nurse gets shot in her home or a man gets the life choked out of him they are refered to as bad guys who had it coming.

I can’t be complicit in such evil, racist, hypocrisy and my legislators have been too busy to answer calls at DC nor district offices. Any happy mutants have a good idea about how to engage the system in a healthy and meaningful way?

9 Likes

#MoscowMitch is just trying to save face and rescue his god-awful legacy of obstruction.

Good riddance to an awful man.

#NeverVoteRepublican

2 Likes

10 Likes

Hey, maybe we should take a lesson from some of tRump’s favorite politicians on how they would handle a seditious coup attempt… You know Papa Putin, lil’ Kim, and the ever reasonable Duterte… and hand down that punishment to the short fingered orange shitgibbon.

1 Like

They are going to have an impeachment trial in the Senate, and it is going to begin on those dates. A successful impeachment even after he has left office is still legally possible and important for multiple reasons.

I have a feeling Trump is potentially quite boxed-in right now, both from internal and external forces. If that kinda-jiggy video that was released really is a deepfake, who the hell knows who’s running things right now, really…

1 Like

It literally looks like it might go down that way… It is one of the options Mitch presented.

Like using field artillery for a short-range firing squad?

2 Likes

I think it is wise to stop him from running again. Sure, he could divide the party and make Democratic candidates more likely to win, but I think the odds are just as good that the worst of the worst will run as third party candidates anyway. If they’ve shown anything, it’s that they simply can’t concede to the less extreme side of their party. I think they can be relied upon toss a wrench in the Republican works for years to come, Trump or not.

Apparently, the use of the 25th Amendment is dead in the water; and we can pretty much rule out Lord Dampnut abandoning office, so that leaves impeachment (pretty much a sure thing) & conviction by the Senate (not so much, but we shall see).
If that’s the best time-line we can get, I’ll take it, but the fact remains, he will still be there for 11 more days (at least)*.
It’s gonna be a long month until then…

*I’m not conviced this coup is over; at least when he was tweeting, we had an idea of what was going on in that sac of jellied pus of a brain of his.

1 Like

For the record, he ostentatiously claimed to take a $1 salary as president.

17 Likes

The left are still watching the Trumpists, even if law enforcement isn’t.

8 Likes