Modi's majority in doubt in "shock" Indian election result

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/04/shock-results-emerging-in-indias-massive-election-with-modis-majority-in-doubt.html

11 Likes

Fuck Modi and his bunch of fascists.

16 Likes

Fingers crossed!

8 Likes

But will Modi accept the results of the election? I’m so tired of this sick game being played.

5 Likes

Modi doesn’t need to resort to claims of vote-rigging. The BJP will still be the biggest party in Parliament. They will govern if they can put together a coalition with other parties.

• Early results from India’s general election suggest incumbent Prime Minister Narendra Modi is on track to win a rare third term in office

• But they also suggest Modi’s Hindu nationalist BJP party has fallen short of the 272 seats needed for a majority on its own and will need members of its alliance to form a government

• Modi’s main rival, the Indian National Congress led by Rahul Gandhi, created a coalition with dozens of other political parties to mount a challenge to Modi’s seemingly enduring popularity

• The BJP and its allies are ahead in more than 290 seats

• The opposition, led by the Congress Party, is doing better than expected with leads in more than 230 seats

• Modi won his seat in the city of Varanasi by a comfortable margin - though lower than expected

• Gandhi has also been re-elected as an MP

7 Likes

Good news. Let’s start turning the tide against these bigoted, authoritarian assholes, anyway that we can.

14 Likes

They threw a party for this guy at the football stadium about four years ago.
I didn’t know much about him at the time, but when the usual festival of jackasses showed up - Lord Dampnut, the Texas Troika, etc, - to curry favor, it told me all I needed to know…

Yeah, fuck this guy.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.