Mom promotes idea of breastfeeding her kid and friend's kid: #MilkSiblings

This could be awkward in fifteen years, if the neighbor child is still in the area and comes over to play video games.

“ANYTHING TO DRINK BOYS?”

1 Like

I suppose it’s possible, but early usage in English literature suggests otherwise. I’m prepared to be proven wrong by someone more knowledgeable though.

1 Like

I seem to recall reading that the separation of the sexes in traditional Islam are quite reduced among cousins if they both breastfed off both an aunt and a mother, so there’s a fair amount of this, if only to preserve the convenience of the extended family down the road.

On the other hand, you can’t marry someone who had the same wet nurse!

“We were married for seven years before we discovered we were brothers and sisters. My mother-in-law had breast-fed me,” said Hayat, a schoolteacher from Madinah. “We were lucky as we had no children,” she said, adding that she and her ex-husband only learned that she had been nursed by his mother when an old family friend visited her home.

“She was astonished to find we were married. She reminded my mother that when she had had puerperal fever after giving birth to me, my former mother-in-law breast-fed me and that my marriage to her son was thus forbidden,” she said.

Hayat and her husband divorced and remarried, subsequently becoming parents with their new spouses. Hayat said she does not regret separating, as she did not really love her ex-husband in the way one loves their spouse.

2 Likes

The ultimate paleo-diet for infants and toddlers up to at least 6 years. Where are the Paleos to defend the No-Neolithic for children?

Why? As people get older they are simply given milk from other animals. I can’t think of any reason for controversy about what animal the milk is from.

2 Likes

Milk from other animals isn’t really that healthy either and should be drank sparingly.

1 Like

Depends upon what it is composed of, and how one metabolizes it.

Just the same, it makes for a curious social difference that there is no outcry of “abuse” when the milk is from a cow. Milking a cow, drinking a glass of cow milk, or offering it to others seems to involve no backlash from other people. So their problem doesn’t seem to be nutritional.

1 Like

If it’s a mostly English phrase, then I’d say you’re probably right. Even though I think my interpretation is sweeter and more intimate.

3 Likes

This is news only to folks who are not co-parenting moms, I think… Seriously, this is older than the human species… in fact mammals giving milk to young of other species is older than the human species.

Nothing to see here. Move along…

5 Likes

Maybe he ascribes to the code of Hammurabi. I guess it’s better than pre-Bronze age thinking!

1 Like

I’ll just leave this here:

2 Likes

Mama Bean concludes: " Isn’t it time to normalize breastfeeding, in all its forms?"

That sounds like a challenge to me!

1 Like

The current goals set by WHO are to breastfeed until age 2. The AAP says to aim for 1, but going to 2 is great if you are up for it. I made it to just past 1 and was ready to be done with it. My little guy would have kept going though, but I had surgery on my wrist and it was just too much for me. I was a little taken aback by the picture, only because they looked older than 2 to me and because I really wasn’t a fan of breastfeeding so I couldn’t imagine it. I think if they had been under 1 I would have reacted differently. I think it is a great idea though! You do have to consider health and life choices of the wetnurse but if they are healthy and not smoking/drinking or doing anything dangerous then why not?

3 Likes

Holy shit that first link. She breastfeeds her teenage son in public, what?

I’m not a doctor, or a health worker or anything, but I’m pretty sure breastfeeding through puberty is pretty much unjustifiable. By that time, it’s appropriate to have cut the cord, as far as I’m concerned. Although I can think of a few extenuating circumstances. Like, if the kid had been starving out in the wilderness and there’s no food to be had… Like at the end of the Grapes of Wrath.

Honestly, I can’t imagine a kid going through puberty being okay with breastfeeding off their own mother at all. I mean, at 12 I was very interested in breasts, but not my mom’s.

2 Likes

Hey, you can never be too old!

1 Like

I used to do that when I was a child. It was glorious.

1 Like

When I lived in Sudan, my boss breastfed both her newborn son and her cousin’s slightly older but still-breastfeeding child at a party I happened to be at. There was a bit of discussion about the wisdom of this, as according to Islam two children who have breastfed from the same woman can’t ever be married (while first and second cousins very much can). There was a little joking concern about what should happen if the kids grew up and fell in love, and I had my eyes opened to a few facets of a culture different than mine that day.

6 Likes

Is the kid in school? I don’t see a problem.

1 Like