Mom reports assault on her son to Ft Worth cop, who wrestles her to the ground, then arrests her and her daughter

I agree, but the way to achieve that is for the state to not have an armed law enforcement division. Once they show up, restraining them is fair game to prevent fatalities. If I had to stun a cop to defuse a situation, or merely hope that they would not escalate using firearms, it is an easy decision.

Is restraining a violent person itself an act of violence, or an act of preventing violence?

6 Likes

I can see who the hero of the piece is.

1 Like

Egotism doesn’t have any place in running a community.

2 Likes

Obviously you haven’t read the fine print. Sure, the big letters read “to serve and protect*” but the fine print footnote at the bottom says “*white people we like.”

5 Likes

If you’ve never had to physically defend yourself, then I envy your life. Perhaps that’s why you haven’t actually offered a solution.

1 Like

While I do not condone what was done, if as you reported, it happened this way (I do reserve the right to a different opinion if you, like usual have left out a great deal of the story) I know the men and women of the Fort Worth Police Department and the vast majority of them are decent, dedicated officers who would never do such a thing.

I will suggest for anyone worried about such a thing happening to them, the best thing to do when there is no emergency situation is to drive to your local precinct and file your report at the front desk. You will be treated with respect and decency and your case will be referred to the officer best suited to handle it. In addition all Police stations are surveyed with many cameras and the Captain of that precinct will not permit anyone in his house being rude, violent or unprofessional in anyway to the citizens. Take advantage of this service and you’ll see it works out great for you.

And how does your philosophy work with the very many Black officers of the Fort Worth Police Department? Or do you suppose they and their Black families also hate Blacks?

#A FEW BAD APPLES SPOIL. THE ENTIRE. BARREL.

45 Likes
18 Likes

I agree, which is a large driver of my own refusal to posture about what a hero I could be.

6 Likes

the people I am addressing have not either. What’s your beef with me?

Your appeal to emotion is pretty weaksauce.

5 Likes

Ironically, this same attitude about the people they police by some cops is what has lead to this problem.

15 Likes

Wouldn’t that go without saying?

I doubt if “heroism” is relevant to this, or indeed anything else. The problem is that if I make statements about people controlling their police on general principle, I get criticized for advocating something perceived as risky while declining to accept those risks personally. While if I take the personal approach and state that this is my reasoning and what I do, I get accused of an inflated sense of self-importance. So it comes off more as a tactic for discouraging some more pro-active areas of discussion.

5 Likes

You seem to be confused about how the cops work. That would result in a riot squad and probably a massacre of civilians.

9 Likes

huh? the people you are addressing? you replied to me, when i suggested community self defense. like the black panther party for self defense, or anarchist patrols in exarchia greece, or even simply copwatch.

then you started in with the same useless, inane “can’t we all just get along” platitudes that have been dismantled time and time again. pacifism is a self-defeating, inherently racist, and ultimately quite violent philosophy. this is stuff that’s obvious to people outside of positions of privilege. ward churchill and peter genderloos have written eloquently on the subject.

2 Likes

right? seriously, what is so hard to understand about that?

In the video, she says he is 7. it is pretty hard to understand why the officer made the remarks he did, which upset the woman. One minor point is that the neighbor who is accused of grabbing the child is the one who called police, but it is not clear why he did so. Also the woman had outstanding traffic warrants, so she might have been arrested in any case. In Texas, failure to appear for traffic offenses results in an arrest warrant, but that can be cancelled by paying the fine. It looks like the third person arrested is the one who made the recording, but she did call him a 'Pig ass bitch" about a hundred times. That qualifies as disorderly conduct in Texas.
But it really does not look like the daughter touched or intended to touch the officer. There is a part of the disorderly conduct law about fighting in public, but it would be hard to argue that the daughter was trying to do anything but calm her mother down.

3 Likes

Do you really believe that?

I didn’t even have to click the link to know the cop was white and the people who were arrested were black.

10 Likes