Mom spies penis drawing in Netflix kid’s cartoon and is "extremely disgusted"

I agreed that the two overlap in my first reply to you. But the treatment of breasts is unique in the way it spills over to interrupt the way we see and understand feeding babies.

2 Likes

I know. I was interested to find out where you think the areas are that don’t overlap.

I would agree - except it appears that weeing in public in the US is just as sexualised.

I can understand criminalising it on the basis that it’s an environmental health issue.

But prosecuting it as public exposure and a sex crime? That’s just as crazy as getting het up about someone feeding their child.

I think we know who’s responsible for that…

1 Like

I don’t really agree that it is.

I know everyone has heard of people being made to register as sex offenders for public urination. But it doesn’t happen all that often, and when it does, I think it has more to do with trying to punish and control vagrant and homeless populations who urinate and defecate in cities.

I spend a lot of time in the out doors and when people who are camping urinate, no one goes out of their way to look, nor does their demeanor change in any meaningful way. It’s just not sexual.

Breastfeeding, on the other hand (in my own experience) nets furtive or overt stares from strangers if breasts are at all visible.

3 Likes

Agreed.

I think the difference there is that there is equally strong conditioning that you don’t look at people peeing. Also conditioning that does not apply to everyone.

But why on earth use a sex offender crime to try and punish and control vagrants?

The only way that flies is by saying that people peeing or crapping are deliberately exposing themselves for some sort of sexual reaction - which in 99.9% of cases is almost certainly cobblers.

Anyway, we’re not going to solve people’s fascination with other people’s bits here. :frowning:

Thanks for explaining what you meant.

1 Like

So I guess the thing is…there shouldn’t be any genitals drawn or otherwise in a kids cartoon. Is it extremely disgusting and will it ruin her child for life…no. But it shouldn’t be there and saying “Hey Netflix, wanna fix this please” would be reasonable; however, she is clearly not reasonable.

As a parent of two teenagers, my only advice to her…don’t ever swipe left or right on your kid’s phone lady. You are not gonna be happy.

Maybe. In the other direction, people feel entitled to look at breasts.

Because they can. And once charged, they dissapear for a while, and when released, they aren’t allowed by law into some public places.

Doesn’t have to make sense, but I assume the idea is genetalia exposed=sex.

Too bad, it’s gotten to be a tiresome subject :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

In the US at least, that is unfortunately because the prevailing attitude toward solving the problem of homelessness and poverty is to simply make it illegal. Not to mention the fact that there are a lot of private prisons that states are legally compelled to keep at capacity, lest they be charged vacancy fees by the prison company that are in excess of what it costs to house inmates.

One can’t help but stop and appreciate the irony that “the land of the free” has a penal system with minimum occupancy quotas.

2 Likes

Oh I get that but why not just be honest and say we’re throwing you in jail/moving you on because you’re worthless scum?

It would clearly not be a problem for many voters. :frowning:

It’s the figleafing by saying it’s because of sex! that baffles me. Obviously legislators and cops think that arresting people for “exposing themselves” will go down better than arresting them for peeing in public.

1 Like

I’m going to finally break down and ask: Am I the only male around here who didn’t spend their youth (or adulthood) drawing penises? As far as I can recall, I haven’t drawn a single one, which based on the comments above makes me quite the outlier.

2 Likes

Why not try it now?

You’ll get to see what all the fuss is about… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.