Monday Music: Run Runaway, by Slade

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/08/monday-music-run-runaway-by.html

1 Like

That was one band that only got by on their looks.

8 Likes

Two of their most famous songs are best known as covers by Quiet Riot.

8 Likes

I don’t think American MTV ever played this video. It has all the cheesy weirdness and modest production values of those early 80s music videos though. Log-swinging guy was a particularly nice touch.

2 Likes

This song is from the album “Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply”, which has a fun, energetic feel. It just sounds like the band had a lot of fun recording it.

4 Likes

Oh, they definitely did. It was on very heavy rotation on MTV, one of those videos that came up every hour.

10 Likes

Same! I totally remember this.

2 Likes

I’m more of a Tenpole Tudor kind of guy.

1 Like

The bag pipes, just look at them.

1 Like

In the USA, perhaps. Growing up in the UK, those songs are probably best known as original versions by Slade.

TBH, I hadn’t knowingly heard of Quiet Riot before you mentioned them (not a criticism; I’ve just never been a fan of American ‘metal’ anyway).
I don’t know whether Wikipedia is a sensible indication of the relative popularity of the versions, but the page for Mama Weer All Crazee Now barely mentions Quiet Riot, and the page for Cum On Feel the Noize rather suggests Slade weren’t fans.

6 Likes

Quiet Riot was the first ‘Metal’ band to have some real mainstream success in the US. But they were pretty much one album wonders. They flamed out pretty quickly.

They probably weren’t. Neither was Quiet Riot. The songs were picked by the record label and they chafed at recording it. By their own account the lead singer of Quiet Riot tried to sing it in a jokingly bad fashion as a way to keep it off the record. But then realized in the process, the rest of the band was taking it seriously.

2 Likes

I’ll keep it polite and simply say: “nonsense” on the assumption you are not more familiar wth their work.
I hold no special torch for Slade, and, yes, their looks were a big part of the appeal, to some, for sure. But look at their contemporaries - including Bowie at the time - if you want to talk about appearances. Everyone in that era looked outrageous.

For the record

You don’t get those sorts of stats just because of your looks.

ETA But I have no intention of starting a flame war over this. :wink:

3 Likes

buRCvsa

6 Likes

There is no flame war, like a Yoga Flame War

guess I tuned it out then… Thanks for setting the record straight!

…or maybe the comment was meant in an ironic way?

3 Likes

3 Likes

Hard to tell, really.

35 years later and I still can’t get it out of my head.
slade

6 Likes

Yeah, I thought my comment was obvious as a joke. Maybe not much of a joke, but a joke nonetheless.

6 Likes