Moose stuck on railroad bridge gets rescued, relocated, without any major injuries

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/24/moose-stuck-on-railroad-bridge.html

5 Likes

Big moose day on BB. Dang…

5 Likes

Bullwinkle approves

5 Likes

A train is one of the few things in this world that wins in a contest against a moose.

8 Likes

What are your sources for that information?

giphy

6 Likes

I don’t think the moose is stuck, any more than a cat can be “stuck” in a tree. Its more that the moose thinks its an okay place to rest, and doesn’t appreciate the risk.

2 Likes

“state fish and wildlife officials managed to remove the moose and relocate it to the wilderness with minimal injuries.”

injuries to the officials, or the moose?

2 Likes

The bridge!

2 Likes

This just wouldn’t happen if all moose wore snow shoes.

While I appreciate the humor of your post, a railroad trestle is like a giant cattle grid. Animals with 4 tall spindly legs can’t cross well because of the gaps in the cross timbers. They simply aren’t equipped to place their rear legs to avoid breaking them.

5 Likes

Fair enough

2 Likes

I’m surprised that one got as far as he did. I grew up in the Rockies in an area where there were a few long, high wooden trestle railway bridges. Bear would cross them but I can’t imagine an ungulate trying it. The gaps are large enough for a human to pass through ( as my dad demonstrated to me once in a ‘what do you do if you’re on a trestle when the train comes’ moment. You hang on, by the way, dropping 25 metres to the ground is not the preferred course :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

Did the moose have a train pass?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.