More evidence of interbred Neanderthal in Jersey

Originally published at: More evidence of interbred Neanderthal in Jersey | Boing Boing

1 Like

What could possibly go wrong in this thread?

8 Likes

Trying to make a good clothing based pun, but I don’t think I’m cut out for it…

6 Likes

I’m already searching for an exit.

6 Likes

Get your facts straight. Nearly everyone in the Jersey Shore cast was from New York.

4 Likes

Hmm… Even in our popular media people seem to like to bonk humanoid figures that clearly are nowhere close to human (looking at you Kirk!), or robots/androids, or even fish-people (Shape of Water anyone?).

Is it surprising at all that we’d get it on with a very similar hominid species that we could interbreed with?

6 Likes
1 Like

And if we could communicate with Neanderthals, it would be very simple to convince them to wear a mask in public. On the other hand, Homo sapiens sapien is such a force as a species that it can apply its great intellect to being the stupidest beings on the planet.

6 Likes

I’m trying to knit one together myself.

2 Likes

Its ten km from solid land. Maybe less during ice ages in the past but I am impressed that people of that time were taking on longish sea crossings like that.

3 Likes

Maybe you just need better material.

2 Likes

Which one? The NJ Turnpike has a few of them.

Depending on the timeframe, Jersey may have been connected to the mainland by a coastal plain;

“… up to 80 thousand years of cooler or cold climate when access to Jersey would have been possible across the extensive coastal plains created by falling sea levels”

From Jersey Heritage Introduction to the Ice Age - Jersey Heritage

The British Isles themselves were connected to the rest of the continent for a good long while by the area called Doggerland.

11 Likes

The Vindication of Jean Auel.

5 Likes

On a more serious note, this 40,000 year old artifact has been preserved and used to understand something around the way we have evolved, and on the other hand the Australian government has facilitated through inaction the ability of a mining company to destroy a 46,000 year old aboriginal site for $200 million gain - the price of a super yacht!

From The Guardian:

Rio blew up the 46,000-year-old caves in Western Australia’s Pilbara region in May to extract $188m worth of high-grade iron ore, devastating the Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura (PKKP) people.

The Guardian article:

4 Likes

There are huge tidal flats surrounding Jersey. It’s not far from Mont-St-Michel. You can walk out for several kms at low tide. A slightly lower sea level might make a land bridge possible.

ETA Looks like @OWYAC beat me to that answer. I will add this visual aid though:

5 Likes
2 Likes

Neanderthals (Need Love Too)

1 Like

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.