More than 100,000 dead of Covid in UK

The fact that covid disproportionately kills the elderly, and there’s a strong generational aspect to political leanings in the UK doesn’t seem to be giving him pause either, though. I guess because so much of the financial support for the Tories comes from dead conservative party members…

12 Likes

But it kills the poor and BAME British people disproportionately so Tories are very cool with that.

11 Likes

Save money on the pensions bill, reap millions in Inheritance Tax. Genius!

Now we have ads telling us to Stay Home but working-age people are contracting this in massive numbers - mainly due to lack of financial support to actually stay at home.

No support to make kids or teachers safe in schools, no support to make work actually safe to attend, no shutting borders, giving vouchers to eat out, pretending pubs are safe, lying about vaccination numbers, supplies and timings for second shots…

I fend off my cabin fever with spite for the Tories.

14 Likes

Human beings made choices that materially impacted the direction of this pandemic, all over the world. Some countries made choices that saved lives. Others made choices that killed far more people than it should have. The fact that some countries managed to not kill hundreds of thousands of its citizens shows that it did NOT have to be this way.

Exactly.

Right.

Right wing governments the world over made brutal decisons, knowing what the consequences would be. It’s time we start holding people responsible for their actions when there were alternatives to be had that were easy to find. Their ideology drove this and it’s an ideology that does not value human life.

Are you joking? It’s been a nightmare of a roll out.

It is well deserved. Just like getting in a dig at the GOP is well deserved.

It could have been a LOT better.

18 Likes

THIS is the part that makes me the most angry about the “response.” Other countries managed this months ago. A year later and 1000 a day are dying in the UK, 100,000 so far.

That’s not leadership, it’s incompetence at best or evil at worst.

13 Likes

Is sycophantism not a partial opinion then? She has a lot of that to dole out on a daily basis.

3 Likes

As much as I am disappointed in Starmer over his Brexit stance I have not seen any evidence yet that he wouldn’t have done it better.

At the very least his government would have been less hypocritical and would have foregone any eye tests and things like that matter when you try to manage public compliance.

2 Likes

Starmer would have been better, but that’s like saying that brussel sprout ice cream is better than dog turd and broken glass ice cream.

13 Likes

I mean, if I had to choose…

9 Likes

The best choice is obvious, but I’m sure that most people would rather have vanilla.

9 Likes

True, but I’m kind of keen on a different restaurant at this point.

8 Likes

Yeah, he might have been like ours. Marginally better than your lot (about half the overall death rate pro rata over the course of the pandemic). But still absolute rage inducingly shit.

7 Likes

dany-this

Honestly, this is where years of Thatcher and Reagan inspired neoliberal policies have gotten us.

12 Likes

I take it you are not living in the UK. If you were you would realise that we have suffered from one of the most inept, incompetent set of govt ministers we have seen in our lifetimes (and I am over 6 decades old) who have failed to take the timely action they were told was needed, have taken actions that have specifically made it worse, have siphoned millions of pounds to private companies who have signally failed to deliver, while deliberately hamstringing local and public organisations that could have done better (because they have done it before). They have actively instigated public policy and actions that have demonstrably made things worse. We have the worst deaths per head of population globally. Yes it would have been hard for any govt. Yes the virus is what it is. But the human factors responsible for managing its outbreak here have been fundamentally incompetent and have made it much worse.

So DO NOT TELL ME IT IS 'JUST NOT THERE" when I have been watching it be here - watching the human source of fault - for nearly a year now. Frankly, I think your comment is a disgrace.

13 Likes

Tiny aside. We like sprouts and Brexit means there is a shortage of broccoli apparently but they are selling sprouts to make up the empty shelves. Works for us. Not for our children unfortunately who don’t like them.

Also. Wut?

https://mobile.twitter.com/foxsoup/status/1354061754561654784

6 Likes

PS I do not normally pay much heed to twitter but this was drawn to my attention…
And missing from the list below are, inter alia:

• ‘eat out to help out’ (pay the public to go to restaurants for cheap meals, FFS, in the middle of a pandemic)
  • failure to financially support people supposed to be isolating after +ve tests, so they just had to go back to work
  • U-turns on schools going back, and testing pupils; making nurseries stay open while schools closed
  • there is a much longer list but I’m tired of it all.

Next time you want to blame ‘fate’ or whatever you think made the UK outcome so much worse than every one else’s, perhaps educate yourself first. And despite my attempt to communicate it, you probably still underestimate how angry your facile comment has made me feel.

15 Likes

10 Likes

Those who would choose continued economic growth over public health will end up with neither. And not just in the UK. We are watching the same story play out all over the world. When will they learn? Hopefully in time for the next pandemic.

9 Likes

I didn’t write that it wasn’t.

She has been accused of bias by both Tories and Labour

Based on what evidence?
Starmer’s performance has done very little to convince me that his leadership would be characterised by any less flailing incompetence. It is tempting to assume the grass would be greener but nothing indicates that, although he would probably appear more compassionate, that he would be any less vacillating.

You can be held responsible for incompetence just as well as for malice. And Al’s cabinet has plenty of form with incompetence.

5 Likes