More than 15,000 Christians (so far) sign a petition protesting Trump's 2024 candidacy

I think too often some of us see “Christian” and equate it to “evangelical.” Plenty of lefty Christians have been in the anti-fascist fight from the beginning and have been making big noise.

The right wing Christians may shout louder about their identity but that doesn’t mean the entirety of all people who identify as part of a particular religion are to blame for the evils of some who claim the same label.

Democratic National Convention Dnc GIF by Election 2016

12 Likes

For Jesus doth sayeth, “Thou mayest do anything under the sun, so long as thou is not a loser for the Pharisees.”
-New Testament, Epistles to the Weird, 2:3

3 Likes

Not really. They politicized themselves decades ago. It was the right wing Christian group the Moral Majority who organized against an actual Evangelical Christian, Jimmy Carter, to back Reagan.

I don’t think it’s a great idea to dismiss out of hand people organizing against Trump, though, especially Christians. That’s precisely what many people said about Muslims organizing against Islamism - that they were not doing enough. We should welcome every single person who shares our values into our coalition, because that’s how we win.

13 Likes

Who do they support instead? Because unless they are also leaving the republican party and not voting for GOP candidates they are still not loving up to actual Christian values

5 Likes

Hypocrisy is the true name of their religion.

2 Likes

So, they were either very, very quiet in 2015/2016, or the media has been completely ignoring them in favor of the bigger splash, hype, and controversy of the for-profit, supply-side-Jesus, Christian nationalists.

I get that they try to be low key and focus on the social justice aspect of their beliefs. And they need to get how that choice cedes the religious ground to the radical right and their wealthy, grifting hypocrites, who are happy to prop up facists if it gives them more power. I’m an atheist in all ways, but these folks need to wrest back the heart of their religion if they want what they are doing to matter, and that requires them to get loud and proud about Christ and waging war against the forces of darkness they oppose.

5 Likes

It sounds like this particular Christian group was never a fan of his, based on their fundamental opposition to Christian Nationalism and Fascism.
So, unfortunately, despite the headline’s implication, this petition doesn’t reflect a loss of support from the large number of conservative evangelicals that made up so much of his base (despite him, you know, being an antichrist :joy:).

2 Likes

There was a noticeable uptick, to put it mildly, at that point. Much embracing of Trump’s purported alignment with certain “christian” values.

Those must be CINOs, Christians In Name Only.

True Christians recognize the lord when the see him.

1 Like

Well, no. 0.007% have signed this petition, that’s a very different thing.

You can be firmly against Donald Trump and work your ass off to ensure he won’t be re-elected, without signing the petition. I would expect the vast majority of Christians opposed to Trump haven’t even heard about this one.

1 Like

Fair point. Something is better than nothing.
And thanks, @ejeffrey for more background on the group behind this.

2 Likes

Sounds like Dr. Frankenstein regretting creating the monster.

I’ll make popcorn.

Is there any point in the Catholic Worker Movement or Metropolitan Community Church signing it? It’s not like many of their members are going to support any Republican.

4 Likes

I’m thinking so. Others have made some good points. And though it’s disappointing these groups didn’t speak up sooner, I’d rather they speak up now than not speak up now.
It’s like with sexual assault cases. If no one speaks up, no one else dares speak up. But once a few dare to speak up, others gain courage and join their voices to the chorus.
Here’s hoping this is the beginning of a true tide change…

3 Likes

Lets wait and see what they have to say or not about DeathSantis in the coming months.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, such distinctions are almost always lost in these conversations. “All christians are the same” is highly favored over recognizing and understanding the actual divisions that exist, even within a single faith tradition. Just like the Catholic League doesn’t represent all Catholics, white Christians nationalists don’t represent all Protestants (not even the majority). But apparently, for some people, facts don’t matter when it comes to understanding how religion actually functions in the world today and historically.

But again, there has always been that tension there. These sorts of divisions go right back to the beginning of the faith, and just because they don’t get airtime, let’s not pretend that they don’t exist or have not always existed.

It’s frankly really disappointing how otherwise smart people here can’t just ignore facts on issues like this.

5 Likes

Truly, it’d be nice if in addition to condemning T, they condemned the entire christo-fascist trend in American politics. Period.

5 Likes

I think that’s the point of this movement. It predates Trump as a major political figure, and is opposed to Christian nationalism.

3 Likes

Thanks for this, Carla !

This is probably the crux of what I’m feeling. I know there are several divisions within Christianity, and several of them truly do good works and are against this stuff, but the hate-filled vocal minority get all the airtime so it seems like these other, compassionate groups, aren’t standing up against this scary slide of our country.
Or, maybe they really aren’t making public statements because they want to stay out of the fray and let their works speak for themselves. IDK. I just want them to be louder so hopefully other groups will gain the strength to speak up.

5 Likes