More than half of Americans actually think Trump is handling coronavirus well

24 Likes

At this point in the curve, its pretty easy to like Trump’s response-since he himself hasn’t really asked America to inconvenience itself very much.

In a few more weeks, as more and more people drown in their own snot… I think more people will find reason to complain about his performance.

He’s the worst possible leader at the worst possible moment.

22 Likes

He was warned during the 2016-2017 transition. He decided to eliminate the Pandemic response team, anyway, in 2018. He joked and lied about it for two months and is still downplaying the effects. He kept cruise ships off shore so “his numbers” wouldn’t go up. He has asked the states to not report unemployment numbers, so they don’t reflect “his economy”.
This is total and utter bullshite and I accuse the fricking republicans of aiding and abetting this criminal by not impeaching him when it was their turn to step up.

21 Likes

Thing is things are not bad yet. Proportionally the number of sick people and deaths, even where the outbreaks are worst, is fairly low. So the chances any given person actually knows some one who is sick are pretty slim.

So you aren’t seeing sick people, but you are seeing all the restrictions and announcements. So naturally it looks like it’s working. Once this ramps up and starts to touch people’s lives more directly. This will change fast.

All people are seeing right in front of their faces is the response. Not the damage.

13 Likes
15 Likes

It’s unlikely to move the needle much, at least in the positive direction. Trump’s approval rating has been relatively immune to the news cycle for the last few years. So even if he does a decent job of dealing with Covid-19 from here on out, it’s not like he is going to sway many Democrats into supporting him or forgiving his previous crimes. His floor is more vulnerable. If things get bad in the US, it’s more likely that people will abandon Trump and I can see Biden making the pitch that the US needs someone who is mentally stable to get the US (and world) back on track after Covid-19 fades. As many have pointed out, the slow initial response of the US may have set the country on a crash course for disaster. The only saving grace for Trump is that your population is generally younger (though also has many people with “underlying” conditions). For now at least, the death rate is lower there.

Also, these polls are just two data points. Others have shown a much more equal division in opinion on how Trump has handled things.

Of course there is also a segment that will never abandon Trump, but that segment isn’t large enough to win him the electoral college.

5 Likes

This is because as far as anyone can see, there is no other leadership available. Sure, Trump is worse than nothing, but the Democrats have chosen to be nothing, and you can’t approve of nothing.

2 Likes

Media spin is skewing the public’s perception of Trump the Unfit’s failures. Wait until the incidence and mortality rates start creeping up with testing, which the Trump administration failed to implement early, even though they were told by clinicians this was the action to take.

2 Likes

I feel like I’m being gas-lighted

8 Likes

Well, that does it.

Screw working from home for the rest of the day.

I’m drinking from home starting now, @#$%-ers!

7 Likes

Sigh. If the 512 people are a good representation of the US at large, then it is a perfectly fine sample size.

Chances are pretty good it’s not, and it’s not really the point of the tweet, but I hate when people dismiss anything because the sample size is not 1:1.

3 Likes

I’m not taking these numbers as gospel but if the poll was conducted by a halfway competent agency then they probably aren’t THAT far off. Even if it’s 30 percent approval instead of 50+% then that’s still way too high.

Plus if the poll is off then there’s a chance his approval numbers are actually HIGHER than this data suggests.

6 Likes

I think you meant martial law.

3 Likes

Of course at least half of those Americans are functionally illiterate. That leaves a quarter who are just not particularly smart.

3 Likes

4 Likes

That is exactly how I described the experience of being out in this working in high traffic public locations day to day.

Rational and safe as you can be there’s serious psychological pressure in walking into 10-20 supermarkets with empty shelves a day. Driving around vacant streets. Knowing you’re putting yourself at risk, but being required to ignore saftey measures. All without any clear idea of whether your pay will evaporate in a couple hours.

ITS FUN.

3 Likes

By the end of April people will start to get really twitchy, especially those running businesses and the banks. An announcement will come from the WH that the quarantine has been a Great Success and everyone should go back to work but keep up the hand washing. Many of the states will go apeshit over this announcement and push back while many Americans do the sheeple thing and resume their daily lives.
The next wave of the SARS-COVID-19 pandemic will manifest in the US in the first part of June. :sneezing_face:

2 Likes

When I saw the first survey and that it only surveyed five hundred people, I still thought, “How the hell did they even find 200-odd people to say they thought he was doing a good job?” But now it’s not just the one survey indicating that. Knowing that other surveys back it up… Jesus, that’s depressing.

Which is what I don’t get about this - that’s not Trump. He’s not been projecting strength or assurance. Hell, so far he’s only managed one public appearance/speech where he didn’t totally fuck things up, attack someone, give bad advice, give bad information, tell lies, transparently reverse himself from what he’d just been saying…

You mean South Korea? (I don’t think North Korea is having such a good time of it, despite the country always been on lockdown, but since they’ve also got the news locked down, it’s hard to say. They claim no cases, but they’re suddenly building new emergency hospitals quite hastily, so…)
I still have a hard time reconciling the fact that South Korea and the US had their first cases on the same day. They leapt into action, mobilized tens of thousands of tests, flattened their curve and got the whole thing under control - meanwhile we’ve done none of that, and our cases are exploding in number with no end in sight.

Yeah, it’s worked disturbingly well for him so far, looking at all the people who were so approving of the way Trump handled various crises - that he created entirely himself through his ineptness.

I suppose that’s true - he gets credit for things he had no responsibility for, but will also get the blame for things for which he’s not entirely responsible, too. To some degree anyways. Death Cult 45 finds ways of absolving him even when he’s clearly guilty.

2 Likes

Ooh, that text is a little tiny for me. (Curse you, presbyopia!) Here’s the full-size source file.

(Source)

7 Likes

Hey, I was just screwing around yesterday about panic attacks and cracking jokes. I really meant it in a friendly way. But seriously, if you are feeling very blue, need a friend to talk to, I am here and so are tons of other mutants. PM me and let’s carry on a conversation! It could lighten the mood and be something to take the edge off. Cheers!

9 Likes