Morgan Freeman making creepy comments to women on camera

When CNN let the world know what kind of person Morgan Freeman is he immediately threatened to sue.

8 Likes

Can we just run down the list already? This one celebrity at a time nonsense is painfully slow.

Aren’t we basically letting Bill Murray, Jack Nicholson, Dan Schneider, Michael Caine, William Hurt, and 5,000 other terrible men off the hook every day by not running exposes on them?

Why are we being so damned deliberate about all this?

3 Likes

Yeah, wow, that’s crazy! :hushed:

Knowing a few of those assholes, the women who do respond are more their type, it’s a filter!

1 Like

Damn damn damn

What’s puzzling is how good films get made.

“Kiss the Girls” is a good film, Ashley Judd plays a doctor who is kidnapped, but she fights back, and escapes. She gives a press conference and speaks to the culprit, claiming the other women being held had nothing to do with her escape, don’t hurt them. And toward the end, she fights really hard to get away from the guy again. Morgan Freeman plays a cop, on the case because his niece is missing.

Ashley Judd was no victim in the film, yet she was in real life. Since it’s the men deciding what films to make, it’s hard to see why they’d let that one slip out. But I suppose someone decided it would make too much money to ignore. Thus maybe someone decided “it doesn’t count, it’s fantasy” so it won’t give people ideas.

I’m not saying Ashley Judd has to be as powerful as she appears on screen, just that it was a good role and I’d hope it gave someone some power. And liking that film, I am sorry he suffered.

1 Like

yawn seriously? Being smarmy isn’t a fucking criminal. If you read anything I wrote you’d know I DID try to dissuade my HS friend from his behavior. When I say policing? I mean literal police like, you think Morgan should be arrested for being a creepy smarmy guy? I don’t that’s where I draw the line. Don’t let what I actually said get in the way you talking trash about others online tho. Where would the fun be in that?

somehow I doubt his suit will get anywhere as the truth seems to be an iron clad defense.

I kicked more than one person out of my clan for just what your friend did. Creating a hostile environment through repeated bad behaviour is not acceptable, period. Your friend acted badly, and should feel bad.

Feeling people up without consent is assault, period. And Freeman did just that in more than one instance.

20 Likes

See also: Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. Killing abusive men on screen, abused by men in the actual production.

17 Likes

Cri-

-epy

Criepy

article-2648949-1E770C0500000578-772_634x438

3 Likes

I did read this:

I had HS friend who said he’d bluntly ask 100 girls if they want to fuck b/c eventually 1 will say yes. I tried many times to explain the faults in this approach and why it’s crap, but I do wonder with someone famous if it works in spite of any faults?

No matter what you meant to write, what you’re saying there is that your friend’s approach was crap because it has mere “faults,” one of them being that it doesn’t work in getting a girl to say “yeah sure, let’s fuck.” You then go on to wonder how well (presumably, how much “better”) it works toward getting fucked for someone who’s famous. That’s derailment from the topic at hand (which is why I replied, Who cares how often it works? Men shouldn’t be doing it, end of story).

You then replied by saying in part, “honestly I’m not into policing what other people say that closely. If they want to let the world know the type of person they are that’s their business.”

When I basically replied that that’s a typical hands-off thing for guys to say about the abusive, shitty behavior of other guys, instead of owning up to your blase statement about how you think men who harass women verbally (no matter what kind of power they have over certain women, apparently) should be left alone to continue doing so, you jumped back to saying that you did try to dissuade your HS from his behavior – you’re not owning up to your own words.

You said that you yourself are not into policing others’ behavior, and now you’re saying what you meant is that you’re not about to call the cops on someone like Freeman for being “a creepy smarmy guy,” which ignores what I and others have been saying here about how in the context of his work (and life, apparently), Freeman was much more than creepy and smarmy – what he did was sexual harassment. To describe his abuse of women as merely “creepy, smarmy” and certainly nothing to get all that worked up about, and to say that you “don’t know where to draw the line,” is dismissive of the claims of MANY women about Freeman’s abusive behavior.

So you say you don’t know where to draw the line, between I guess “merely” creepy and smarmy, and sexual abuse that should be stopped. All because what, stopping men who say things that you hear as “creepy and smarmy,” but that women tend to hear as sexual harassment, is curtailing the right of such men to free speech?

You seem to want to claim that you’re sympathetic toward women who have been abused by sexist men, but very few of your words make you seem so.

17 Likes

If helps I’m not friends with that guy anymore but I wasn’t in a position to “kick anyone out of my social group”. He was a smarmy mofo and I never liked him. Morgan Freeman wants to be smarmy (as crassly hit on women) I think it’s smarmy and crass but it’s not really my business. If he sexually assaulted someone by groping them then he should be punished, but again really it’s up to the parties involved to push the subject and I certainly would encourage them to do so.

1 Like

Is criminal versus not criminal the only way we evaluate actions?

I challenge you to supply any evidence from @milliefink’s comments here which would reasonably give you the impression that she thinks that Mr. Freeman or your high school friend should be arrested rather than

10 Likes

Apparently my calling out my friend for being smarmy and trying to dissuade him from his behaviors isn’t quite enough. So I’m left wondering what is? I think the behavior is abhorrent but not criminal. That’s somehow not good enough… what conclusions am I to draw?

I would advise listening to women. Re-read @milliefink’s replies to you and leave it a day or so. Because i don’t think you’re hearing what she’s saying and what i’m trying to amplify.

15 Likes

Nah, the only one I feel that way about is Mister Rogers. Any other celebrity, I just assume they have taken advantage of their status.

I think it is on both men and women to change the culture, but the problem is it’s mainly men that do this.

How do you stop guys from doing this so much? I think people learn best from experience so I think that the more women that can say ‘hey that’s not ok’ with zero repercussions, the quicker we can adjust society.

So I think the culture change isn’t necessarily having men stop doing this, it’s having zero repercussions for a woman saying ‘Stop it, you are making me uncomfortable.’

I think we are close to reaching a tipping point for it being ‘normal’ for a woman to speak out as opposed to just ‘dealing with it.’

So I know it’s hard in some instances and for some personalities, but people as individuals need to shut down this behavior as it happens. If one doesn’t like the aggressive, ‘alpha’ crap like in the ET video, it must be communicated that it is not ok, whether male or female.

7 Likes

I pretty much agree with that, but I’d add that it sure will be nice if and when a helluva lot more men start actually even seeing sexist abuse when it happens, and then stepping up and calling out the abusers on it.

It’s great that women are feeling more empowered to do the calling out, but it’s still almost always a LOT more risky for them to do it then it is for men to do it.

15 Likes

When you say “this” what specifically, are you referring to?

1 Like