Mormon's Secret: temple garments for gentiles

Actually, I think that your observation involves an equivocation. Yes, Jews are an ethnic group, but not all Jews are active participants in Judaism or wear ritual garments. Secular Jews, of course, wear nothing at all that is distinctively Jewish. Reform Jews may wear a Kippa and may wear a Tallit during services. Otherwise nothing. Conservatie Jews wear a Kippa and a Tallit during services and may wear a Kippa at other times. Orthodox Jews wear all sorts of ritual garments, all or much of the time. Including, as several of us have noted, the short or little Tallit under their outer shirt - just like the Mormons. So criticizing what Jews wear is criticizing a religious practice of religious Jews, not criticizing an ethnicity.

2 Likes

Yah, except, of course, Jews, Hebrews, Israelites or whatever you want to call us, have become “white” only very recently in US history.

4 Likes

A friend of mine is a Mormon, and he’s also one of the nicest people I’ve ever known. When we’ve talked about various issues it’s also clear that he’s as opposed to the church leadership’s stance on certain things as I am. I could say he’s still enabling the church’s actions even if he doesn’t agree with them, but then I have to ask myself why I’m not just as critical of my Catholic friends who are the same way.

Maybe it’s my agnostic version of “hate the sin, love the sinner”, but then I see them trying to change the things about their respective churches they don’t like, and even if I could I have no desire to try and take away what they get from their faith.

4 Likes

The symbols are Masonic markings that Joseph Smith (creator of the Book of Mormon and founder of Mormonism) borrowed when he created the LDS Temple Ceremony (called the Endowment). There are 3 markings, 2 on the top piece (t-shirt) and one on the bottom on the right leg.

The 2 on the top are the “square” and “compass” symbols/visuals from Masonry. You may have also seen them in the Masonic symbol on the back of cars. Google Masonic Seal for an example. I would post an image but I’m new here so…

3 Likes

Yeah, I know jewish people becoming ‘white’ is a recent thing, but I think there’s sitll some weird pale-skin-is-inherently-more-pure shit going on with the Book of Mormon having the ‘wicked’ israeli-offshoot tribe that rejected the second coming of Jesus in america and may be the ancestors of native americans be ‘cursed with skin of blackness’ for their transgressions, to make them unattractive to the light-skinned, ‘righteous’, still-christian Nephites.

Of course it’s not like that’s the ONLY problem mormonism has with regards to race…

You can just copy and paste images into posts here and the nice people at boin-boing do something to them afterwards. :smiley:

You can’t start a new religion without roping in a bit of justified and ancient Masonic symbology :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t even give @OtherMichael a “Technically Correct” because he has purposely misled you with a non-relevant statistic. Look up Utah and you’ll be hard pressed to find a county that isn’t majority Mormon. Many are in the 75-80% range.

Cool zoomable map:

2 Likes

My only contact with Mormons has been shutting my door in their faces a couple of times, and finding their funny Bible next to the Gideon one in a hotel room once. Arizona? Nevada?

This discussion is making me think a bit about the reaction to this case ( or at least the re-reaction when it came to light again with the cloned dog thing):

1 Like

Just putting it out there, but they do make some similar style ladies bottoms that you can purchase at Macy’s. They are made by Jockey, I believe. I have a couple and they are good for wearing under short casual dresses - give a little extra coverage and protection against chafing if I’m doing a lot of walking.

2 Likes

Can you support that claim?

I sure hopes it’s true. Because in the time and place where I grew up, it was emphatically NOT true. The Mormons weren’t treated as badly as people of color to be sure, but there was open, active discrimination against these “Non-Christian Cultists” at that time and place.

I now live far away, geographically and culturally, from where I grew up. My question is sincere --can you support your claim – because I don’t know the current situation.

I think I qualify as a reputable source on this subject since I was raised LDS and wore the temple garments most of my adult life and participated in may LDS temple rites. I am what you would call a cultural Mormon, and I consider myself akin to someone of Jewish heritage who appreciates the traditions but does not believe the underlying dogma (“Doctrine” in Mormon-speak). Here is some trivia about the Mormon garments, some of which has already been mentioned in previous responses:

• The embroidered symbols are indeed of a Masonic origin. Joseph Smith was a Mason and based many of the LDS rites on Masonic rituals.
  • The design of the undergarments has evolved over the years. Originally they were one-piece units that extended to the cuffs and ankles, similar to much underwear in the 19th century - sort of like the red or gray long-johns you see in westerns. Sometime in the early 20th century the sleeves were shortened and the legs were shortened to just above the knee but they were still one piece with trap doors just like old-timey underwear. About 35 years ago they went to the current two piece style.
  • No, Mormons are not required to wear them when they have sex.
  • The website mentions wanting no profits going to the LDS church. Actually, there are no profits involved. The garments are sold to members at cost: material + manufacturing + packaging + distribution - typically priced at $2-$3 per article.
  • They are available in olive drab for those in the military.
  • There is an initiatory rite Mormons go through before they are allowed to wear the temple garments.

I am not offended but can understand that many true believer Mormons will be horrified by these gentile garments, which seems to be the whole point of the enterprise.

5 Likes

Mormons literally believe themselves to be the new jews

1 Like

Speak for yourself. I don’t do anything in the name of religion, much less silly things in the name of religion.

I may mock the silly things the religious do, and the absurdity of what they believe, but the religious will tell me to my face that I deserve to suffer in cosmic torment forever just because I don’t agree with them. That seems disproportionate.

2 Likes

According to a description by LDS Church president John Taylor in 1883, the “Square” represents “the justice and fairness of our Heavenly Father, that we will receive all the good that is coming to us or all that we earn, on a square deal”, and the “Compasses” represents “the North Star”. In addition to the Square and Compasses, Taylor described the other symbols as follows: the collar represented the idea that the Lord’s “yoke is easy and [his] burden is light”, or the “Crown of the Priesthood”; the double-knotted strings represented “the Trinity” and “the marriage covenant”; the navel mark represents “strength in the navel and marrow in the bones”; and the knee mark represents “that every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ”.

1 Like

Some of the comments in this thread lead me to believe a lot of people have NO IDEA how much power the Mormons actually hold in this country. They basically own an entire state, unlike really any other religion or cultural group that I can think of has.

2 Likes

Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism and a number of other religious groups have held significant control over the resources and politics of states and regions around the world. Or maybe I’m misreading your comment?

1 Like

Every casual, less-that-positive comment isn’t automatically pejorative, any more than “penguin suit” is a deep-rooted hatred of nuns.
Now, white shoes and matching belts – c’mon, that’s just asking for it.

I will just leave this here for the handwringers…

This too

5 Likes

I meant specifically within the U.S., and in a really amazingly short period of time. It’s still a pretty new religion, when comparing to other religions (obviously it’s just another off-shoot of an off-shoot of an off-shoot, but it’s also very different).

And Mormons hold a LOT of political power in this country, even still being so new.

And then there is Scientology, which has gained a lot of influence in an even shorter amount of time, although that’s on a totally different level and seems really centered on the fame aspect of “fame and fortune” in a way most religions never have before.

I’m not making a value judgement (well, okay, maybe a little). I just find it interesting that a lot of people here are talking as if they are some sort of tiny little minority, when they really aren’t. They are a massive, OPPRESSIVE religion that hods a lot of power in this country.

Now – I wonder: what IS the Mormon influence around the globe? Anyone know? I’ll go to the Googles later when I have more time and if I remember.

5 Likes

Freedom of religion doesn’t mean protection from uncivil disrespectful atheists/hedonists. Freedom of religion does mean I have freedom of conscience to believe, practice and worship as I choose as long as I don’t break laws where I live. Just because I choose to believe, worship and practice the values, principles of my Christian faith by being civil, respectful, God-believing and Christ-like doesn’t mean those that disagree with me will do likewise to me. So be it. I am required by my personal choice to treat others the way that I want to be treated. So God bless the mockers, the railors, the venters, all those who just don’t get the good up til now. I hope one day you will.

1 Like