Most of the 2024 U. S. Presidential candidates have underwhelming taste in music

Originally published at: Most of the 2024 U. S. Presidential candidates have underwhelming taste in music | Boing Boing

1 Like

Is that surprising? Popular music is popular because lots of people like it.

13 Likes

So a person is cool or not cool, intelligent or not intelligent based on your person musical tastes? Interesting.

One of the many reasons I’d make a bad politician is that I’d have trouble humoring silly fluff like this and would go full passive-aggressive. I’d return a list that was nothing but obscure tracks from somewhere like the least successful Black Eyed Peas albums.

9 Likes

This is why I could never enter politics.

9 Likes

The dissonance of publicly saying you like a song when you know that the writer of that song hates everything you stand for is pretty amazing. Like when Paul Ryan said he liked Rage Against the Machine.

14 Likes

If I recall correctly, former UK Prime Minister David Cameron – who was educated at the private school Eton College – said he was a fan of “Eton Rifles” by the Jam, a song about local kids fighting the posh students from Eton.

Of course, the message of the song’s a bit more complex than that, but the Jam were emphatically not fans of either Eton or the myriad of entitled mediocrities who’ve graduated from there and gone on to rule the country.

9 Likes

“…and #15 on Candidate Leicester’s playlist is ‘Columbian Necktie’ from Big Black’s album, ‘Songs About Fucking’.”

7 Likes

Correct. That’s how this works. Sorry.

8 Likes

Reminds me of the time John McCain named ABBA as his favorite group and basically dared anyone to make fun of him for it. Glad he didn’t win the Presidency but damned if I can fault anyone for loving “Dancing Queen.”

19 Likes

I’ll bet you’d even pass the art school entrance test if you’d try.
Not so sure about getting kicked out of a convent, though.

3 Likes

The oldest way of determining coolness since the invention of the recording industry…

da hai GIF

But no, not really. It is interesting to see what people say they like and how they fits with their public persona, though.

15 Likes

“Vivek Ramaswamy […] chose [two songs] by Imagine Dragons.”

That’s almost as immediately-disqualifying as using fraudulent means to pump-and-dump a stock based on a worthless medicine.

9 Likes

Yeah, right. And it said " Not the ‘best’ songs, the ones that bring instant joy", which for most people probably are ear worm pop hits that you bopped around to with your friends.

There are several songs that I don’t own on CD, but will instantly crank up and possibly sing along too when they are on the radio.

6 Likes

Years ago a group of us who were all new to a group were asked by our boss as part of a “get to know these people” effort asked us to pick a song for the list of things about us. I chose “Sheep Go to Heaven” by Cake. He was like “yea, you can’t pick that”. So I picked “Monkey Wrench” by the Foo Fighters instead. :slight_smile:
Christie, tho… Come on, a Jersey guy goes with a Born to Run song? Everyone knows Darkness on the Edge of Town and Nebraska are Springsteen’s best albums.

6 Likes

Ummm…

His fans included the fellow saxophonist and former US president Bill Clinton, who described Brötzmann as “one of the greatest”.

(ETA: Or I missed the joke)

1 Like

Well then, I must retract my prior statement!

4 Likes

I never said anything about coolness or intelligence. They all may be really cool and intelligent! I just think they lack imagination in choosing their “favorite songs.”

4 Likes

yeah I gave him props for putting Bruce on his list, but let’s be honest, there are far better Springsteen songs!

3 Likes

Then it’s a good thing we’re not electing them to be DJ.

9 Likes