Most of the 2024 U. S. Presidential candidates have underwhelming taste in music

I’d have to put Starbuck’s Moonlight Feels Right next to Suicide’s Frankie Teardrop, just to fuck with the pundits.

6 Likes

Other than Dr. Cornel West…

Im Not Maya Rudolph GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes

Not one Gang of Four track on this list. I’m not surprised, but I am disappointed.

4 Likes

but it did say “your all time favorite songs” – not just “songs if you hear them on the radio you’ll crank up and party to”

2 Likes

well, of course not lol. I was being generous to say the least lol

6 Likes

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I do think it’s always a weird thing that this has become a part of the campaign season, though… what pop music do politicians like? I’m unsure how it helps us to make good political decisions, though as I said above, it can be an interesting look into how they shape their public personas, I guess?

but still, nothing will beat Paul Ryan claiming he loved Rage Against the Machine, and didn’t seem to understand their politics! Like, dude, do you even listen to lyrics?

7 Likes

Highly unlikely; you’re too kind.

He’s very intelligent for sure, but his religious leanings greatly hinder his ‘cool’ factor, IMO.

I have noticed that many people seem not to.

10 Likes

If I were to put Springsteen on a similar list, I’d pick I’m on Fire, just to see the reactions of anyone who knows the creepy lyrics.

5 Likes

I love when songs get used “inappropriately”. I wonder if someone in an organization is fucking with us or fucking with other people who are clueless in the organization.
Like that time Royal Caribbean used “Lust for Life” in a commercial back in the early aughts. When I saw that, I died laughing*. I mean, did ANYONE look up the full lyrics??
That also applies to political figures using songs wildly wrong given their positions on issues.

*Edit to add - Iggy Pop probably laughed the hardest when he sold that to them, tho. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

He heard “fuck you, I won’t do what you tell me” and nothing else. :rage:

7 Likes

Yeah, but it isn’t surprising peoples’ favorite songs are also on the radio and crank it up.

1 Like

In the interest of exposing myself to ridicule and hatred, I’ve decided to run for President. Here are my song choices based on the stated requirements. I presume this constitutes immediate disqualification.

1. Dexter Gordon and Lonette McKee - How Long Has This Been Going On
  2. Cheryl Crow - Strong Enough
  3. Talking Heads - This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)
  4. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Even the Losers
  5. David Byrne - Dance on Vaseline
  6. Vampire Weekend - Cousins
  7. Los Lobos - El Cuchipe
  8. Los Super Seven - Compay Gato
  9. Ozomatli - (Who Discovered) America?
  10. Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen
  11. Tom Waits - Chocolate Jesus
  12. Rufus Wainwright - Cigarettes and Chocolate Miik
  13. The Beatles - Baby you’re a rich man
  14. Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
  15. Pete Yorn - Splendid Isolation
  16. Dire Straits - Southbound Again
  17. Jordan Zevon - Studebaker
  18. Rutles - Living in Hope
  19. Madonna - Ray of Light
  20. Ute Temper - It’s All a Swindle
7 Likes

Choosing a president based on tastes in music doesn’t seem any worse than choosing one based on whose spouse can make the best cookies.

3 Likes

Except one was a misogynistic throw back intended to diminish the role of the possible presidents spouse (used especially harshly against a certain former presidential candidate), and the other is just a weird thing to try and show that “they are real people just like you.” they are both bullshit, but one is far more toxic and problematic than the other.

6 Likes

Wait a minute… Ramaswamy has Woody Guthrie’s paean to immigrant workers “Pastures of Plenty” on his list AND he took money from George Soros? I’m starting to think he’s a Communist Manchurian Candidate who projects Fascist Dictator so well that Republicans have been fooled.

2 Likes

The rule not to repeat an artist seems silly. What if the candidate is a deadhead, a parrothead, or just likes getting head. Those will all yield repeat artists.

3 Likes

In an impressive streak, every single one of the artists that Larry Elder picked would absolutely hate him!

3 Likes

You had my vote at Warren Zevon.

You convinced to take on your campaign management responsibilities for free by choosing something other than Lawyers, Guns, and Money.

You fell just short of me committing massive voter fraud on your behalf by not choosing Hit Somebody (The Hockey Song).

4 Likes

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

He’s just a power hungry grifter who will sway whatever way he thinks will benefit him the most.

7 Likes

So, none of them chose Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’"? Damn.

4 Likes