Mother moose protects her calves from stalking grizzly bear

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/31/mother-moose-protects-her-calv.html

5 Likes

Truck for scale. Moose are big creatures and not to be messed with.

20 Likes

Go Mom!

12 Likes

That was one persistent bear, surprised he kept chasing after them

8 Likes

obligatory

Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti…

13 Likes

How to Talk to Mother Moose with Calves

1. Jog up to her in a jovial manner totally not threatening to her calves
  2. If she doesn’t realize at first how excited she should be with your approach, turn around and act scared like she could cave your skull in with one kick
  3. Be persistent. They like that and only act like they’re annoyed
22 Likes

[quote]WHEN the Himalayan peasant meets the he-bear in his pride,
He shouts to scare the monster, who will often turn aside.
But the she-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail.
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.[/quote]

http://www.potw.org/archive/potw96.html

4 Likes

As a group, when you come across a mother bear, remember you don’t need to out run the bear, just the other members of your party.

When alone and you encounter a bear, climb a tree. If it climbs after you it is a BLACK bear. If it knocks the tree down it is a GRIZZLY.

When walking in bear country, it is always wise to wear small bells so you don’t surprise a bear. And have pepper spray in case you do. You can tell you’re in bear country by looking at the scat. Bear scat often has small bells in it and smells faintly of pepper.

24 Likes

Well fuckit…I have the fish.

2 Likes

I’d like to see what the moose did when it caught the bear.

1 Like

“Don’t mind me, I’m just foraging for berries here.”

10 Likes

mooslings are so cute…

6 Likes

mother moose: “What the fuh…that asshole AGAIN?”

bear: (out loud) "hum-hum-hum, I think I lost a cuff link here"
bear: (muttering to himself) “Cripes, I’m just being a bear.”

10 Likes

Seriously; it must have been awfully hungry to keep trying.

5 Likes

That was my thought too.

B: Those small ones look like easy prey, damn I’m hungry.
M: You’re still following us? How about I…
B: Oh hell, totally not worth that sort of confrontation.

Wash, rinse, repeat. They had a long time to do their dance of cost / benefit.

2 Likes

B: Crap . . . where are we?

3 Likes

I recently read Janet Kagan’s Mirabile, a sci-fi novel about an offworld colony. The colony planners back on earth sent along frozen embryos of various useful animals, and to guard against embryo loss and failure to thrive, each one was implanted with backup DNA for several other animals. Obviously things went haywire, and now they need these sort of battle-ready forensic zoologists to deal with, like, kangaroos occasionally giving birth to carnivorous Kangaroo Rexes.

The first story involves reports of a strange new animal surfacing at a remote lake and scaring tourists. The breathless accounts say it’s huge, like the size of a car, equally at home on land and in water, with something like great grasping hands on top of its head and a terrifying bellow. Our protagonist figures it was just overimaginative drunks until she hears the bellow and hunts down the monster herself.

It’s a moose. Not an alien mutant moose. Just a regular moose.

They name it the Loch Moose Monster.

7 Likes

It looks to me like that bear was just scared and running from the “Wild Life” caption that chased it for several terrifying minutes, and then began harrowing the mother moose and calves.

5 Likes

I find it funny when people take sides in nature films. Bears have to eat, too. But I see how you might be biased. :wink:

4 Likes

Circle of Life…

(did someone say that already?)

3 Likes