Moose kills man trying to photograph its newborn calves

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/21/moose-kills-man-trying-to-photograph-its-newborn-calves.html

10 Likes

Would you rather be stuck in a forest with a man or a cow moose?

17 Likes

Hmm… what kind of forest?

11 Likes

authorities cannot say if the moose killed Chorman by kicking or stomping him, or a combination.

Is that three different offenses then?

Sounds like those authorities are trying to decide what crime to charge the murderous moose with.

8 Likes

Maybe a combination of the two?

7 Likes

Watching a cow moose and her calves graze on the bushes surrounding the garden of the house I lived in in Homer was a highlight of my time there. It was done from a balcony about 20 feet away and 12 feet above the moose. The garden had 10’ tall fencing with posts about as big as a telephone pole. The closest I ever got to a moose on its own was the day I walked out of the back door of the hardware store and a young male was browsing on spruce tips about 5 feet away. I went back inside and used the front door. Why anyone would think it was a good idea to try and sneak up on some calves is beyond me.

16 Likes

Kelp forest, obviously :wink:

11 Likes

I guess it’s possible they didn’t realize how close they were to the moose until it was too late but yeah, yikes.

8 Likes

15 Likes

He should have watched casual geographic…

18 Likes

I hope they don’t put the moose down because of this incident.

16 Likes

On a trip to Wyoming I was preparing to raft down a gentle section of a river with my family when a local came up to warn me that there was a bull moose standing near the river a ways downstream, and strongly advised not to raft anywhere near it. He stressed that they’re fast and dangerous, so we changed our plans.

In contrast, I saw another bear in my neighborhood when bike riding with my kids a couple days ago and most of the neighbors were basically ignoring it because they never bother anyone here. Although apparently this one may be working his way up to stealing cars…
img_1_1716299590545

16 Likes

While all large wild animals are potentially dangerous (as are some of the smaller ones), those with babies are especially so, so stay away from them.

8 Likes

Gentle reminder that more people are killed and injured in AK by moose than by bears. Sure, Bullwinkle seemed friendly, but don’t mess with ungulates.

12 Likes

Always appropriate when a headline has the word “moose” in it

17 Likes

Don’t mess with moose. They are very big, scary fast, and can dish out startling amounts of violence if provoked.

10 Likes

Ewes for example, sheep are lovely animals in general, but make them think their lamb is being threatened, and you will probably live to regret it.

3 Likes

From the

thread:

I entirely agreed with this sentiment last night, but now even more so.

My BF rightly called this a Darwin Death.

I mean, the only baby animals anyone should approach are those whom their mother has invited U to fuss over.

ummm…

Yes, that’s a CPR practice baby, and as close as I’ll ever get to posting an ai image.

Ok, here we go:

That’s better.

14 Likes

Or in the case of some rams, maybe you won’t. Some poor boy got killed right on the Whitehouse lawn by one of them.

8 Likes

What… a moose can’t garrote an enemy, lace their trail mix with poison… ‘bump’ into them with an umbrella?

No… big stupid moose with big feet and big horns. so obvious.

6 Likes